Backup Advice please

griffo 21:37 25 May 04

I wonder if I could trouble you for a couple of pieces of advice please?

We have a small office LAN (4 desktops, 3 using W98SE, 1 using XP Pro, plus 4 laptops, all on XP Pro), wired into a 12 port hub plus a wireless ADSL Router with VPN for our Internet and remote office access.

We have been using a Seagate Travan Tape for backups but it takes forever and isn’t flexible enough. Recently, we have added IDE removeable HDD bays to 3 of the desktops and have 2 x 80GB HD’s. My thinking is to use these for backups as, in the event of the failure of the PC we use as our ‘proxy server’, we can remove the HD and place it in a bay on one of the other 2 PC’s, change our shortcuts and be live again very soon.

I was thinking of partitioning the 80GB HD’s and putting our ‘Work Folder’ (currently around 9GB but will grow, as we scan a lot) into 1 partition and then, maybe, copies of ‘clean’ mirrors of each of the other PC’s, into other partitions. Then mirroring all of this onto the other 80GB. Then, backing up our Work folder onto both HD’s each day, taking 1 off-site for security.

Do you think this is the best way to go and if so, what software would you recommend – Norton Ghost?

The second part of my query is; we use VPN and the people who helped us set this up know the IP addresses. It occurs to me that they could, if they wished, logon to our system without us knowing and look at our confidential data. If I’m right, should we password protect our Work folder? If so, how do we do that?

Sorry for the length of this, hope you can help.

stalion 22:36 25 May 04

bupm

griffo 08:27 26 May 04

bupm - which means?

Stuartli 08:31 26 May 04

Bumping the thread back to the start of the forum - in this case the HelpRoom forum.

Saves it from disappearing into a black hole..:-)

Stuartli 08:34 26 May 04

I would be very surprised if VPN's employees would use confidential information to do as you suggest - in fact it was not a wise move to even name the company.

If such a thing occurred word would quickly spread and it would find it very difficult to either find new contracts or perhaps even retain its present clients.

griffo 09:04 26 May 04

VPN isn't a company, it stands for Virtual Private Network. In other words it is possible to connect from a remote location using the IP address. The point I was making is that, not only the people who helped set it up, but potentially others could 'stumble' upon our IP address and access our data. Therefore, I am asking how we should use passwords/whatever, to protect sensitive data.

byfordr 11:07 26 May 04

I'm assuming that you need some form of user id and password to log on through VPN, normally an ip address wouldn't be enough. Do you have any form of security tokens/dongles?

If the information is confidentual or sensitive then it certainly makes sense to encrypt it or password protect it.

R

griffo 11:14 26 May 04

all we do at present to log on via VPN is to go Start - Run - IP address. This is why I'm concerned - we must be vulnerable? How would we best restrict access to the sensitive/confidential data, to authorised people only?

byfordr 12:10 26 May 04

I am surprised that there seems to be no authentification process in place.

A quick google for something like VPN validation VPN vadition token or VPN authentification should throw up some reading material. click here is one such example.

At the very least there should be a username, password. The best types are the constantly changing tokens which help add another layer in.

R

griffo 12:41 26 May 04

the link didn't work but I've done as you suggest and looked on google under the various headings. All a bit heavy for my understanding, wouldn't it be easier to password protect either the whole C drive or the most important folders? Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

byfordr 14:18 26 May 04

Hmmm link works for me...

Basically short of decent encryption there are enough tools freely available on the internet that will make short work of password protected documents (particularly those from the microshaft stable) also potentially if someone has unlimited access to your documents whats to stop them copying them and worrying about attacking the passwords later. Also if they can get on the system, reading documents is the least of your worries. Far better to stop them before they let themselves in.

Hence the need for decent security. A security token with its constantly changing authentification will do wonders for the security of the network. After all you wouldn't leave your front door unlocked.

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…