Backup Advice

Evolution 22:24 20 Feb 03

In the last year I have had two occasions when I have had no choice but to refomat my hard drive and reinstall XP home.

On each occasion I have lost many key files and drivers. This includes all my windows updates and I have had to download them all again.

Not critical but frustarting

Luckily for me most of my key files and drivers are on another PC on my home netork so reinstallation has been easy.

Apart from copying my files, patches and updates to a CD on a regular basis, does anyone have any other advice regarding backing up key files.

I have heard of creating a partition and mirroring the contents of my c: drive on it. In the event of a reformat being required, can this partition be used / copied over to prevent a full reinstallation?

How does it work?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Evo

woodchip 22:39 20 Feb 03

Drive Image 2002 and create a complete image of you drive

woodchip 22:43 20 Feb 03

PS you will still need to backup your Doc's to CD or similar

jazzypop 22:55 20 Feb 03
  Stokey 09:45 21 Feb 03

Drive Image is a great utility. You can fiddle about with your machine -- tinker too far even and cause untold trouble. DI restores everything back to where it was in just a very few minutes and I DO mean everything, OS and over 300 programmes/applications etc in my case.

I read threads on here about self inflicted problems (in fact most of them are) and will never understand why everyone does not use it.

I tend to create a new image about every three months. Drive Image is the greatest "failsafe" bit of kit available and not expensive either.

Wak 11:44 21 Feb 03

I use XXCOPY from click here
It is a free program and will produce a mirror image of your main drive (including everything, O/S, programs, System, files) on to any other drive.
It's quick and it's easy.
See the website and read the info and instructions.

woodchip 14:43 21 Feb 03

Does it copy the Partition??? Drive Image Does

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…