Backing up XP

Splodge 12:52 09 Jan 05

Are there any programs available which will completely back-up everything including the whole of the Windows XP operating system.

Every time I try I seem to either lose everything on the back-up disk because of a problem ((Drive Image) or it does not copy the full operating system!

TomJerry 12:55 09 Jan 05
  Splodge 13:04 09 Jan 05

Thanks I will have a look, any other program anyone.

I have also tried Double Image but that cannot copy everything although it is very good on copying across new data!

freaky 14:27 09 Jan 05

First I tried Drive Image, found it very complex.

Then got Norton Ghost, it worked OK but very slow, found that Symantec were useless to try to contact in the event of any problems. Also the interface starts in a Window, then reverts to MSDOS. Means you cannot use the PC while Ghost is running. This may not be the case however with the new Ghost V 9.0.

Bought Acronis True Image 8 last week, after seeing good reports about it on here and elsewhere.

Very pleased with it, and you can continue using your PC while it is doing a task.

Also had a query, sent them an email and had a satisfactory reply within 8 hours!

The manual which is in PDF Format, is very comprehensive....all 210 pages!!!

Splodge 14:36 09 Jan 05

thank you, you are the 2nd to recommend it. I will buy on-line if it backs up as you say.

I assume it is not available on disk>

JoeC 15:11 09 Jan 05

Tried Drive Image - some errors.

Tried Norton Ghost - backup whilst Windows running but too complex for me and no real help from Symantec. Sure Symantec now own Drive Image.

Acronis True Image - tried it. Bought it on CD. Easy to navigate and simple enough that even I could backup !! Backup in Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…