Backing up XP

The Bard 18:55 09 Aug 03

I bought a Pioneer 106 DVD-RAM writer to use as a back up. Unfortunately, my first choice software Powerquest Drive Image 7 does not work with DVD-RAM and I have been told that Norton Ghost is not easy to use for a novice like me. Any suggestions?

ghost is incredibly easy to use,

The Bard 19:15 09 Aug 03

But does Ghost work with DVD-RAM? Their website does not say. What about Acronis True Image?

rawprawn 20:07 09 Aug 03

If you are running XP home edition it has it's own backup program but it is hidden, I'm almost certain that you could backup to DVD.Here is the way to extract it from your XP CD, it is worth doing even if you need to backup elsewhere.
Put the XP CD in the drive, go to Run, Type valueadd\msft\ntbackup. double click ntbackup.msi.
It's as easy as that, you don't need to pay for backup progams. It comes as standard on XP Professional but it is hidden in XP Home edition.

AubreyS 20:26 09 Aug 03

I use Norton Ghost and I bet I'm MORE of a novice than you. It's VERY easy to use and its excellent. I've restored an image a few times and its really got me out of trouble. Do a new image every 2 or 3 weeks if you constantly update stuff. Good luck.

The Bard 06:27 10 Aug 03

Thanks for the info, but is Ghost compatible with DVD-RAM - their website does not say.

AubreyS 15:10 10 Aug 03

You could always add another hard drive and put the image on there.

menorcarob2 15:22 10 Aug 03

page 116 pcadvisor may 2003

Cesar 12:35 11 Aug 03

I use Drive Image 7.0 and according to their readme files you can restore from DVD-RAM, hope this helps

The Bard 16:35 11 Aug 03

Their technical department says it doesn't!

DieSse 17:05 11 Aug 03

Acronis specs here click here

It's excellent - runs from inside Windows - dead simple to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…