Backing up x2 SATA RAID0 onto an IDE

gartoye 18:50 18 Oct 06

Just bought:
mobo: Asus P5V - VM DH
CPU: Intel Duo 1.86 ghz
1gb DDR2 533 RAM

Hi, Im going to upgrade to SATA & am considering RAID0 on x2 SATA drives & backing up to my existing 120gb IDE HDD. The SATA drives Ive seen for sale are mostly 80gb, 120gb, 200gb or 250gb. Wahts the best size to get? (With HD video upon us & all) In respect to my back up drive, Ive never backed up before but know its important (never had probs though). Reading up on it, it seems your back up drive doesnt need to be as big as the drives you're backing up if you take an image, but how can this be? Surely you cant cram more in there than it will take. Please can someone offer some general guidance as to whats the best size & type of SATA drives to get & also some advice on the easiest way to back them up, They all seem cheap as chips compared to 2/3 years ago when I bought my 120gb IDE Maxtor 10 with 8mb cache (all the SATA's seem to have 16mb now) cant remember how much it was but it was a LOT more than £50 - £60.

gartoye 14:26 21 Oct 06

Configuring x2 SAT2 drives as raid0 & am being asked to enter block size, either 4k, 8k, 16k,32k or 64k. Which is the best to pick? Does it matter? Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5