Backing up Windows 7 [Hard Drive Crash]

nawhdee 09 May 13

Hey,

My hard drive has slowly been dying over the past year, and it's become somewhat essential that I backup my OS so I can purchase a new HDD. I'd like to back it up to an external HDD, but as I've been looking up the subject, I've just become more and more confused. Is the Windows 7 Backup and Restore function not good enough/not capable for this - or is it only designed for personal data? Third-party programs seem to be the recommended path, but I don't know how to navigate the bevy of options I've come across. Could someone let me know if I should use a third-party software if my sole goal is to backup the OS (personal files are all on the cloud) as well as which specific third-party program? My computer illiteracy and I would greatly appreciate it.

john bunyan 09 May 13

If I were you I would buy Acronis True Image software. Then having done a scan for virus and malware on your Hd, and a defrag, You could ,in this case, make a clone of your drive on the external HD. Then you could get a new intenal HD, boot with the Acronis disc, and clone it back to the new HD. Others may suggest an image, which is fine, but I would do a clone in this case.

See:

Amazon Acronis

onthelimit1 09 May 13

If a PC, you can use free Seagate software (a slimmed down version of Acronis) to clone the entire drive to a new one. Seagate site here.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message