Backing up using Xp Home edition

TATHS 17:49 30 Oct 05

Up to now I have backed up by copying to a seperate partition on my second drive, at somewhat irrecular intervals. I have now bought an external drive to store the backups and want to automate the procedure
Every reference book I look in says that you can access the Xp Backup facility via the system tools menu - its not on mine.

Do I need to install it seperately? I can't seem to find anything useful on the Microsoft website

ade.h 18:16 30 Oct 05

Yes, it's called NTBackup and is on your Windows CD.

Or download a free backup utiliy like EZ-Backitup. This does the same sort of job but is a bit more sophisticated. Just as easy to use though.

Jackcoms 16:31 31 Oct 05

Insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD.

Click Perform Additional Tasks.

Navigate to the VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP folder.

Double-click the ntbackup.msi file.

Southernboy 17:23 31 Oct 05

I was under the impression that it did not support external hard drives. Is this incorrect?

Jackcoms 17:57 31 Oct 05

"Is this incorrect?"

Yes.

click here

GroupFC 21:18 31 Oct 05

However what you can do is use the Windows backup and back up to your c drive and then copy the resulting file (which will have a .bkf extension) to you external hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…