Backing up the system...........

Bodi 09:56 29 Sep 03

This is going to sound really ignorant, but would appreciate instructions on how to back up the full system for

A) Windows Millennium Edition - Hard drive is showing signs of failure

B) Windows XP

I cannot find system back-up on these Operating Systems. Is there one?

I know there is a system restore, but, please, how do you back-up the system to a partition on the hard drive? - Getting really short of time - so please, this is quite urgent.

Bodi

MjM Hellfire 10:32 29 Sep 03

XP - START - ALL PROGRAMMES - ACCESSORIES - SYSTEM TOOLS - BACKUP.

Then select what you need backed up. I would try and back up in small chunks, then burn the chunks onto a permanent storage medium, like a CD-ROM.

Bodi 10:48 29 Sep 03

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

Is this the same procedure for Win ME? - The hard drive on this particular computer is clicking like mad and it has all sorts of updates on it.

Bodi

pj123 11:14 29 Sep 03

Try the PCA download page and under Utilities, Backup there are a few programmes that will back up to CD.

Bodi 11:18 29 Sep 03

MjM Hellfi: I had already checked under system tools and the only thing I could find was "System Restore" - no system backup.

pj123: Thanks for that - will take a look.

Bodi

Chegs ® 11:34 29 Sep 03

You have to add the system backup from the XP install cd,its in the "VALUEADD" folder.I wouldn't rely on it to work tho' as I used it to backup my OS(file created was 2+gbs)but when I tried to restore it,nothing changed.Using the backup from XP,you need to reinstall XP then browse to the backup and click on it,I had hoped that it would reinstall all the Updates(save d/l them again)but it didn't.I would use either Acronis TrueImage or DriveImage as I have used both these previously,and was impressed with the speed of recovery.

Belatucadrus 11:44 29 Sep 03

click here for a selection of Back up freeware, most relevant are probably Polderbackup & Cobian.

-pops- 12:56 29 Sep 03

Backing up isn't something that should be reserved for times of anticipated disaster.

Catastrophic system failures can be sudden and dramatic. It is wise to keep an up to date backup at all times.

Bodi 13:37 29 Sep 03

The Win Me computer only has the Operating System and Nero on it - the XP system is mine and all FILES are systematically backed-up - but not the O/S. I suppose I really should copy this drive to my SCSI removable drive for safe keeping. Recommendation for a reliable drive copy program would be appreciated - am willing to buy a good one.

Again thanks - my internet connection will run out on the 6th October, so I'm trying to update everything in time.

Bodi

-pops- 13:41 29 Sep 03

I use DriveImage 7 (XP only but it comes with DI2002 as well).

Bodi 15:47 30 Sep 03

and copied current drive to removable SCSI - everything copied OK - but have problems with XP.

Going into "System Information" and clicking on anything (left hand side of window) brings up the following error:

"The component which displays this information is not functioning properly, or not present on this machine." In other words, I can't check the system at all.

Anyone have any ideas? Please.

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac