Backing-up, synchronising and imaging software

Maughan1967 17:12 25 Jun 08

Hello.

My brand-spanking-new PC is being delivered this week. The 1st HDD will be partitioned between OS (Vista Premium) and data. I intend to partition the 2nd HDD and make copies/images of 1) the OS as installed, 2) the OS in its current state from time to time and 3) all my data/docs. (I will also have an external HDD in a caddy to do further data back-ups for remote storage.)

My question is:
What is the difference between file synchronisation software (such as "Super Flexible File Synchroniser") and drive imaging software (such as "Acronis True Image")?

Am I correct in thinking:

- synch software only replicates/copies/backs-up data files (e.g. photos, documents, mp3s etc);
- imaging software also enables you to back-up the OS and/or the System State; and
- imaging software may also enable you to image/copy data files?

What does True Image do that Windows' "System State back-up" does not do, and/or that System Restore does not do?

Thank you!

MC

crosstrainer 17:20 25 Jun 08

Yes you are broadly correct. IMO (and many others here) Acronis TI 11 is the way to go...Not free, but the best.

I use it to create complete clones of my systems...Operating systems, everything.

I use an external and an internal for extra protection.

click here

The above is the UK site. If you want to save a few quid, and have a credit card that is accepted you can buy it from the US site and burn backup copies.

woodchip 18:10 25 Jun 08

Acronis Image will put your Computer back in working Order, If the Hardware is OK. You can also load the Image to a new Drive if the old one does a bunk.

synchronizing does just what it says, it keeps files synchronized. It will keep files in a different location as the originals on the main drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…