backing up the registry

Head hurts 17:35 22 Aug 04

i posted a thread recently concerning pcbug doctor and had some replies and was pointed towards regscrubxp (thanks Dan the confused) this appears to be a great little programme and as suggested i backed up the registry to a floppy disk. now hopefully i will not have to use this but it set me wondering as to if there is any way to check this floppy disk before a major problem or do we back up the registry and hope all goes ok if we have to use the disks or whatever. thanks in advance again to those with better knowledge than me who may take the time to reply.

User-312386 17:44 22 Aug 04

I would find it unlikely that you would be able to save the registry to a floppy disc

you would need quite a few discs

to back up the registry click start>run and type regedit

Now when in registry editor, click file>export and then save it to your desktop

If something does go wrong then all you have to do is double click the icon on the desktop

nick_j007 17:57 22 Aug 04

Yes, a quick check after exporting my registry:

Start
Run
"regedit" (omit the quotes)
File
Export (decide on location)

Mine was 36 MB and that's after a reinstallation last week.

Simply Import later on if things go awry.

Please correct me anyone if this is not 100%

HTH,

Nick

Head hurts 19:03 22 Aug 04

Thanks for the reply the regscrubxp file was to restore registry to a condition prior to its installation but thaks for the advice.

joeltr 19:41 22 Aug 04

sorry folks, i followed the instructions above to backup my registry, got as far as clicking on the desktop on the left, clicked save but when i looked at my desktop its not there, what am i doing wrong ? fairly new player, joel.

joeltr 19:18 25 Aug 04

sorry, again, but i have done exactly as above, but it still isnt working, what is the correct method of getting it to my desktop, thanks joel.

User-312386 19:22 25 Aug 04

bit confused

Click on the START button>now click on RUN

Now type

regedit

Now when in registry editor, click file>export and then save it to your desktop

If something does go wrong then all you have to do is double click the icon on the desktop

or am i not understanding your post?

joeltr 19:31 25 Aug 04

thanks for that, i have done what you say, but when i click on the desktop icon on the left, and click save at the bottom, when i get back to my desktop, nothing is there, i will try again now,joel.

Graham ® 19:33 25 Aug 04

When you get to the Export Registry File window, save in:, click the arrow to select Desktop. Give it a title and click Save.

joeltr 19:40 25 Aug 04

that did the trick, its on my desktop now, thanks madboy33 graham, regards joel.

Dan the Confused 19:43 25 Aug 04

click here has good info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…