Backing up Quicken to CD in WIN 7!

TonyV 20:24 16 Dec 10

Since putting Quicken 2004 in to the WIN 7 Home Premium machine, I now find I can't do an automatic backup via the Quicken system. I can burn the files independently, but not thru' the system. It says it can't access the drive! yet it has just burnt files to it.

Is there a system to back up Quicken to a CD using the Quicken backup system?

In XP I had no problems either backing up to a CD or an external drive. But since the new machine is a laptop, I thought I would use the CD, rather than connect the external drive each and every time.

Thanks

TonyV

QuizMan 23:24 16 Dec 10

I am not sure what you mean by automatic back up. I use Quicken 2004 in W7 HP and back up my data each time I exit by clicking on the backup button and save it a to separate partition on one of my hard drives. I then use Acronis True Image 2010 to back up that drive to an external device.

What the Quicken help file says about CD backup is:
Before you can back up to CD-R or CD-RW, you must configure your CD-RW drive to work like an alternate hard disk drive. When you're done, you should be able to copy files from your hard disk drive to a CD-R or CD-RW. In addition, for many operating systems, you must install a third-party programme to enable your computer to copy files from your hard disk drive to a CD-R or CD-RW.

Do this clarify anything? Perhaps you should consider using a USB stick rather than CD.

QuizMan 23:28 16 Dec 10

Last sentence of 1st para should read:
I then use Acronis True Image 2010 to back up that drive weekly to an external device.

TonyV 23:36 16 Dec 10

When I used the XP machine a couple of weeks ago, I used to back up to an external hard drive I took from a previous machine I had. This was very easy to get Quicken to backup to it by telling it to save to the destination of that ext. HDD. Then, like you, it would back up every time I closed down Quicken.

Since the new machine is a laptop, I can't really have the Ext.HDD permanently connected to it, so thought I would use a CD to back up to. This obviously doesn't work. It will work in a USB stick. But, I suppose if I knew how to set the machine up to recognise the CD as another drive, I might be able to do it. But I haven't found any where that can tell me how to do this. It is this "Before you can back up to CD-R or CD-RW, you must configure your CD-RW drive to work like an alternate hard disk drive." from your post that I am talking about.

Maybe you can help here?

Cheers

TonyV

QuizMan 09:28 17 Dec 10

Maybe you can help here? - I think they are referring to having the ability to treat a CD as any other hard drive by formatting it in a specific way. Once done, traditionally it allowed users to drag and drop files onto a CD via Windows Explorer, but could just as easily be used to back up Quicken. Roxio (and probably Nero too) had the ability to format CD's in that way and I used it many moons ago. Sorry, but I have no idea if you still can in its current form though. Can others help here?

TonyV 13:15 17 Dec 10

Yes, you are right, I was asking how to format the CD drive in a way that makes the backup facility in Quicken work.

Cheers
TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…