Backing up Outlook express emails

wedfan 22:15 05 Jul 09

HI there

my harddrive has gone a bit mad, it will not load into windows, so I have changed the harddrive, because i need the data on the old drive.

Problem is that I need my emails, and they are setup through Outlook express.

Can anyone help me as to how I can backup my emails from the old Harddrive and then bring them over to the new and setup my email.

thanks

Stuartli 22:48 05 Jul 09

The answer, as with the vast majority of Microsoft products, lies in the excellent and comprehensive Help files for each program or application.

However, you can also find out at:

click here

I sometimes use OEViewer to backup messages:

click here

wedfan 23:00 05 Jul 09

problem is my emails are on the old Hard drive and it will not load into windows not even safe mode, so i can not do this, as you need to have outlook express to back up the emails that way

lotvic 23:40 05 Jul 09

Open Windows Explorer then Tools>Folder Options>View Tab. Select show hidden files and folders, Untick Hide File extensions of known type and Untick Hide protected operating system files. Or you won't be able to see the dbx folders

Simply Navigate to your old harddrive and look in Documents and settings>yourname>Local settings>application data>identities>[long folder name of numbers symbols and letters > Microsoft> Outlook Express

Outlook Express messages are *.dbx (a database only readable in OE - unless you install an additional dbx reader prog)

You may find it easier to make a new folder on your present desktop called eg: Mail fromOldHDD
then just copy the Folder from the old harddrive and paste the copy into the new folder. It makes it easier to find when you import the messages to your present Outlook Express

Stuartli 11:37 06 Jul 09

Are you saying that you cannot get into your original hard drive at all?

If it's XP, then undedrtaking and XP Repair will/should restore the OS operational aspect (you normally don't lost programs, applications etc with a Repair (NOT Recovery Console).

.dbx files can also be found from Start>Search>Files and folders>key in:

.dbx

OEViewer is a means of reading such messages other than the normal way (as mentioned by lotvic).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…