Backing up Outlook Express

annecel 16:19 01 Jan 06

I plan to use XP ntbackup to backup my data but I do not want to use the basic wizard.

I found out through another thread where my outlook express emails are stored (Documents and settings\Anne\Local settings\application data\identities\[long folder name of numbers symbols and letters]) but this last folder when opened does not show any files. I assume that this is something to do with security.

My question is, if I backup this folder, will I be able to restore my email folders from it in an emergency even though they aren't visible in this folder at the moment.

ade.h 16:58 01 Jan 06

If you haven't already, I would enable "view hidden files and folders" to be certain of that folder's contents.

It's been a very long time since I last HAD to use Outlook Express (not something that I would do in preference to Outlook or Thunderbird) but I used to save important messages to a folder in My Documents via the Save As command on the File menu while a message is selected. I doubt that it has changed at all since then, so that should still be the accepted method.

ade.h 17:00 01 Jan 06

Oh and don't use NTbackup; download EZ Backitup instead. Easier to use and considerably more capable.

click here

If you need advice on how to use it, let me know.

Taff™ 22:56 01 Jan 06

This program has been recommended on the forum before click here Haven`t used it myself because I`m on Outlook (Not Express)

lotvic 03:13 02 Jan 06

quote ""(Documents and settings\Anne\Local settings\application data\identities\[long folder name of numbers symbols and letters]) but this last folder when opened does not show any files""

You should be able to see your .dbx folders in Documents and settings>Anne>Local settings>application data>identities>[long folder name of numbers symbols and letters > Microsoft> Outlook Express

May I suggest that you change the location of the store folder for .dbx email folders

1. First create in My Documents a new folder (ie EMAIL STORE Anne)
2. Open Outlook Express > Tools > Options > Maintenance Tab > click on 'Store Folder' button > Change > Browse the tree for the new folder you created in My Documents > select it so that it is highlighted in blue and then click on OK > the new location will appear in a new box, click on OK.

Now whenever you copy or save to CDR or backup 'My Documents' you will also be saving all your emails .dbx

May I also suggest that you save your Internet Accounts File settings so that your connection settings are backed up.

1. First create a new folder in My Documents (ie EMAIL IAF Anne)
2. Open Outlook Express > Tools > Accounts > Mail tab > highlight in blue the email account > click on the Export button > Browse the tree for the new folder you created in My Documents > select it so that it is highlighted in blue and then click on Save.

This creates a file with all your settings saved in it so should you ever need to set up your Email account, say after a reinstall you will be able to import this file.

There's more.... Now your Address Book to save to My Docs.

1. create a new folder in My Documents (ie ADDRESS BOOK Anne)
2. Open Outlook Express > Open Address Book > File > Export > Address Book (WAB) > Browse the tree for the new folder you created in My Documents > select it so that it is highlighted in blue and then click on Save.

Happy New Year

lotvic 03:45 02 Jan 06

slight correction ! when saving to new created folders in My Docs 'select it so that it is highlighted in blue and then click on Save'

SHOULD READ: 'select it so that it is highlighted in blue OPEN FOLDER and then click on Save'

Sapins 11:29 02 Jan 06

click here for Microsoft document.

annecel 22:13 02 Jan 06

Thanks very much for responses and I will try what lotvic suggests. I had already backed up the internet account and the address book in the way you suggest.

But I'm still puzzled. I searched for .dbx files and the result showed that they were in this folder. So why can't I see them when I look at it? And if I can't see them, does that mean they can't be backed up properly from there.

I'll check out EZ Backitup.

Thanks again.

ade.h 22:26 02 Jan 06

As per my first post; are you sure they are not hidden?

Taff™ 23:09 02 Jan 06

Open Windows Explorer (Windows Key + E Key) then Tools>Folder Options>View Tab. Select show hidden files and folders, Untick Hide File extensions of known type and Hide protected operating system files. You can reverse all these later if you wish.

GroupFC 16:11 03 Jan 06

Do you mean you can't see the messages? This is because they are in effect database files and you will not be able to see the individual messages (I am sure that that is not the correct termninology but you get the drift!).

If you can't see the .dbx files (which should be called things like Inbox.dbx, sent items.dbx etc.), it is probably because they are hidden files (although if this is the case, would they show up a search?), as the others have said.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced