backing up old vhs videos onto vcd's

ramlin 17:41 27 Apr 03

Hi,
I'm just about to buy a new computer the specifications of which are as follows: CPU: Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz, RAM 512 DDR PC 2700, Hard Disk 80 GB, Asus CD-rw, Asus P4PE Motherboard and Geforce 4 MX 440 64MB GRaphics card (I imagine this is pretty basic as I won't use the computer to play games).
I will basically use the computer for word processing, internet, scanning and "tarting" up pictures and capturing and backing up my old video's of the kids.
I am not buying a DVD-rw as it would otherwise push the computer out of my price range (I intend to buy one in a year's time when prices have dropped and the technology has improved).
What hardware/software should I get in order to capture, edit and burn my old vhs tapes (which are vhs -c) onto a VCD? How do you do it? Someone has told me that if I buy Pinnacle Studio Version 8 AV (which includes an analogue video capture card), this should suffice. Do you agree or should I get something else? My trawl on the net has also led me to a product made by Dazzle (Hollywood Bridge or something), but the reviews given in cnet were so bad, it put me off that product.
It's not too late for me to change the specifications for the computer (provided it won't cost an arm and a leg....)
Many, many thanks
Clifford

Totally-braindead 17:55 27 Apr 03

Its a pretty good spec, if you do want to play games it should play them with no probs at all.
Regarding the video question if the graphics card has the relevant input connectors( most don't they just have a tv out) then you wouldn't need anything apart from some software, best thing to do if that is the case is to read reviews and download any trial versions which are available to see what you like. The Pinnacle Studio would provide everything you need and regardless of whether your graphics card can do it it would be the simpler option much simpler a friend of mine has been trying various things for months now and as far as I know is no further forward. Personally I'd buy the Pinnacle

y_not 06:35 28 Apr 03

...and recommend it to others - a fine product for the job!

Looking through you spec the only thing I would change it HDD space (and number of discs). Better (I am told) to use one disc for applications and one for data - but a partition won't acheive the same effect (don't ask me why - only repeating what I was told).

I fully agree that Pinnacle is the best software around at the moment for your editing needs.

p.s. My HDD's currently hold almost 70Gb of video files - and thats not really that much - video is a bit HDD hungry

ramlin 14:59 30 Apr 03

Thanks for the response so far. Someone from another forum has strongly recommended the canopus advc-100 for capturing analogue video. As to software I'll probably try out the pinnacle. Regarding the Dazzle, I note the recommendation but I have read such negative reviews about that product (especially on cnet) that I am not so stuck on that product.
Las, but by no means least, I have thought of keeping, basically, with the same spec as above but instead of an 845PE motherboard getting a Canterwood motherboard. I have read somewhere (and I have forgotten where) that even if youu pop in a 2.66P4 with FSB 533 it will perform better in a canterwood motherboard - any views?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…