Backing up my system - HDD

athertpa 21:37 29 Nov 10

Hi,

I currently have a decent quad core system which isn't really back up (as far as im aware).

I have a 1tb drive and a 300gb drive (which is on the way out).

My plan is to buy a 60gb SSD for my windows 7 (would you recommend installing anything else onto this drive?) to boost my boot up time, and general loading times.

But then I would like to use my 1tb drive to store all of my info and back up my info on this drive. Is this possible? I have heard of partitioning but am no expert!

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Paul

gengiscant 07:28 30 Nov 10

I currently use a Vertex 2 60Gb SSD, on it I have installed my o/s Windows 7 and about 65 other programs and still have 25GB's of space. Ever thing else is on mt 1Tb drive including my Steam installation with its 80 GB games.

It is simplicity itself to move your personal files,IE My Music,My Documents etc to the 1TB drive so that all your personal stuff automatically goes to the larger drive.click here
As for partitioning the larger drive, I personally have not found it necessary but in the past I have used this;click here again very simple to use.

AlanHo 07:55 30 Nov 10

I keep my Operating System and all programs on one internal drive, my data (documents, pictures, videos, music etc) on a separate internal drive and have an external eSATA hard drive on which I store back-ups.

I use Acronis to take a full back-up of my C: drive weekly and Second Copy to take a back-up of all changed files on my D: drive each time the computer is shut down (every evening).

It is prudent to keep back up of your system and data - because sooner or later you will experience drive failure you and will lose everything without one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…