Backing up my documents.

Meshuga 18:56 11 Jul 04

My OS isXPHome. I would like to back up my documents on to a zip disk.The " my documents" window shows 41 folders.How can I transfer them in one go instead of individually please. Meshuga.

johnsims 19:11 11 Jul 04

Drag and drop or copy and paste the entire My Documents folder from a windows explorer window

Pesala 19:14 11 Jul 04

That is what I do to transfer my files to a CD-RW for backup. The upside is that it uses much less space and transfers much faster. The downside is that you have all of your eggs in one basket. However, if you rotate backup disks regularly, as you should do, you will be sure that you always have a recent backup. I subdivide My Documents into subfolders for different file types - Wordperfect, Page Plus, Plain Text, Rich Text, etc., - so I can be more selective about which folders to back up daily, and not to bother with old stuff that never changes.

Archiving the files on the hard disk is very fast, so can be done daily, and extracting individual files from the archive kept on the hard disk is also convenient if you overwrite a file by mistake.

One of the best free archiving programs is IZarc click here. After installing it, you can right-click on folders in Windows Explorer to create an archive containing all files in the folder and its subdirectories.

wee eddie 19:20 11 Jul 04

I use a ZIP100 at work.

Just open My Computer > Format the Zip Disk > Open My Docs > Highlight about half the files > Copy them > Highlight the ZIP drive > Paste them.

I need 2 disks, when I include my Outlook.pst file

wee eddie 19:27 11 Jul 04

There must be something wrong with it.

My folders are all Subject related and may contain many different types of file. Word, Excel, Access and Publisher files, to say nothing of assorted .jpg and .gif files.

Meshuga 19:54 11 Jul 04

Many thanks to all who responded. I too am using a zip100.One further question please. I have tried highlighting whole rows of folders but am warned about one particular folder that I might lose part of the contents. When I highlight the row that that folder is in I cannot leave that one clear. If I try to clear it I clear the whole row.Any solution to that please. Meshuga.

powerless 19:59 11 Jul 04

Hold the Ctrl key down as you de/select.

Meshuga 20:10 11 Jul 04

Many thanks Powerless, you usually come up trumps.Regards, Meshuga.

wee eddie 20:16 11 Jul 04

it is just possible that that Folder has a file in it with a long name.

Zip does not support names as long as Windows (128 letters)does

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…