Backing up music files

L_Driver 20:07 22 Mar 08

I have WMP10 on my desktop and Roxio Easy CD + DVD creator Vers6. The problem is that music files usually have very, very long file names associated with them eg the song Diamond Dogs from a Best Of Bowie would not be named "Diamond Dogs.mp3" but rather "David Bowie - Best Of Bowie Diamond Dogs.mp3" This, with a lot of files, is problematic because the backup s/ware limits the number of characters in a file name and constantly prompts you to rename a particular music file ( I think there is a 64 char limit , which many of my music files exceed due to WMP naming convention as referred above ). How do I easily backup my music library avoiding this issue ? I do have a 2nd hard drive installed but this would be virtually filled by copying all music to. Any ideas, workarounds ?

L_Driver 21:50 22 Mar 08

Not being too familiar with WMP ( my kids primarily use it, not me ) I have discovered that when ripping music it is possible to specify the naming convention for the file ie you CAN rip a song as simply the song title. I still have a problem of having 30GB worth of music with the files having the very long names as prev. discussed. Anything I can do here ?

MCE2K5 21:56 22 Mar 08

Start WMP10, Click Tools, Options.., Rip Music Tab, Click File Name... Button, Then Un-Tick all But Song Title.

L_Driver 18:06 23 Mar 08

Ta for the reply. I discovered that but wish I had of done so 6 years ago when my kids first started ripping music. I`m gonna have to rename all of the files already ripped ( so that I have no probs backing up to DVD ). I have looked at the ripping options and amended as per your comment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5