Backing up music files

L_Driver 20:07 22 Mar 08

I have WMP10 on my desktop and Roxio Easy CD + DVD creator Vers6. The problem is that music files usually have very, very long file names associated with them eg the song Diamond Dogs from a Best Of Bowie would not be named "Diamond Dogs.mp3" but rather "David Bowie - Best Of Bowie Diamond Dogs.mp3" This, with a lot of files, is problematic because the backup s/ware limits the number of characters in a file name and constantly prompts you to rename a particular music file ( I think there is a 64 char limit , which many of my music files exceed due to WMP naming convention as referred above ). How do I easily backup my music library avoiding this issue ? I do have a 2nd hard drive installed but this would be virtually filled by copying all music to. Any ideas, workarounds ?

L_Driver 21:50 22 Mar 08

Not being too familiar with WMP ( my kids primarily use it, not me ) I have discovered that when ripping music it is possible to specify the naming convention for the file ie you CAN rip a song as simply the song title. I still have a problem of having 30GB worth of music with the files having the very long names as prev. discussed. Anything I can do here ?

MCE2K5 21:56 22 Mar 08

Start WMP10, Click Tools, Options.., Rip Music Tab, Click File Name... Button, Then Un-Tick all But Song Title.

L_Driver 18:06 23 Mar 08

Ta for the reply. I discovered that but wish I had of done so 6 years ago when my kids first started ripping music. I`m gonna have to rename all of the files already ripped ( so that I have no probs backing up to DVD ). I have looked at the ripping options and amended as per your comment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…