Backing up HD by putting it in other PC?

Ellie3009 13:14 27 Mar 03

After suggestions made to me in a previous post, I feel that I should back up some large files on my HD.
I don't have a CD-R and they are mostly too big for floppies.

Would it be possible to take the HD out of my PC, insert it in my Mums, which does have a CD-R, and then burn the necessary files to CD?
If so, do I risk damaging anything by doing this?
And would it not confuse my mums computer (Running Win ME)to have my HD put into it, with Win 98?

If this is possible, I would be most grateful if someone could offer me instructions on the most trouble free way to do this! What do I plug in where, and what do I do to make the PC recognise the HD? (I can do the burning bit, no probs there.)

Or, would it be easier to pinch the CD-R from my mums computer and install it in mine, assuming that she has the drivers and software on CD?

Switcher 13:18 27 Mar 03

Use laplink to connect your PC to your mother's.

Transfer the files from your PC to your mother's

Copy to CD.

galatic door 13:19 27 Mar 03

if you are putting your hard disk on her machine it needs to be set as slave
connect it up as you would on its own with ribbon cable and power

Paranoid Android 13:26 27 Mar 03

Really this is an undesirable way to proceed. With hard disks and cd writers available for £ 50-60, my advice would be to upgrade your own pc. When you have done this, use an image file backup program such as (for example) Norton Ghost.

Apart from the hassle, the stress caused to components by moving your hard disk around would certainly increase the likelyhood of hardware failure.

The laplink option suggested by Switcher is just not realistic for very large backups.

Marvin

Ellie3009 13:27 27 Mar 03

Thats a really cunning idea. But what cables would I need?
And how long does file transfer take?
Working on the theory that I have about 2gb of files to burn?

galactic door: I know I need to connect it as you would, the point being that I don't know how that is normally done!
I've done installing cards and RAM, but never a drive of any variety, and I'm a bit nervous to mess with things if I don't know exactly what I'm doing!

Ellie3009 13:30 27 Mar 03

I know it would be easier to buy a CD-R, but I dont plan on keeping this PC for long enough to make it worthwhile, and I'm a student so I could spend £50 on a whole lot of things other than a CD-R!!!!

Would it be better to borrow a CD-R from the other computer then? Saves moving HD's around?

MAJ 13:31 27 Mar 03

As galatic door says, you can do it either way, Switcher's method is also equally valid but a little more expensive as you'll have to buy a laplink cable. It's slightly easier moving the Rewriter as you'll have more space to install it in your PC than you will installing your hard drive in her PC. Let us know which drives you have installed in your's at present and we'll be able to advise on the settings you need. Obviousl your hard drive is Primary Master, but what are the other drives you have installed. You will be able to see this info on boot up. Look for Primary Slave, Secondary Master and Secondary Slave.

Ellie3009 13:40 27 Mar 03

The only things I have in mine at the moment are my HD, a floppy and a DVD drive.

I can't do a reboot at the minute because I'm downloading something, but I will let you know what the master+slave settings are asap.

Paranoid Android 13:41 27 Mar 03

My experience of laplink cables is that they are very slow. If the files are documents you could compress them into a zipfile first to save time.

Marvin.

pj123 13:41 27 Mar 03

Go To click here a CD Rewriter is only £35. Fit it to your machine and then you can do it easily.

Ellie3009 13:45 27 Mar 03

Argh!
Okay. I don't mean to be rude, but I asked for advice on how to do it, not how to buy a CD-R.

Please don't suggest that I buy one, I need a way of doing this without buying.

Thankyou!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…