Backing up files using Windows XP SP2?

clock 15:03 21 Jun 05

I know this will sound silly but I have never wanted to back up information until now, after having my computer for 2 years plus! I want to save some Database information onto floppy or disk but don't seem to have the option?
Programmes - Accessories - System Tools - ? Apparently Backup should be listed after System Restore but not on my computer. (Info for Windows ME from "Getting things done on your PC").

I have successfully saved my digital photos to disk over the last 18 months using Nero, is this how everything should be backed up?

Clock

Completealias 15:10 21 Jun 05

Depending on the manufacturer of your pc windows backup program is not always installed in xp home. If you have a copy of windows xp on disk you can install it from that but it isn't the best back up program out there as you need to install windows and the backup program first before you can get your data.

There are many dedicated backup programs out there or you can just continue to burn your files to disk if you choose to. The other option is to get a prog like acronis true image and make acomplete image of your hard drive which will have all your progs , data and settings saved and then you can do a full restore from this

clock 15:26 21 Jun 05

Thanks Completealias, I do have my Windows XP disk supplied with my computer. Assume put disk in - Add/Remove Software - Windows Setup - System Tools - Backup, tick box, click OK, click Apply in next window? All as per Windows ME in the book??

Clock

ethelene 15:46 21 Jun 05

I may be missing something, but I would simply save the files to disk using the file - save as -.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:57 21 Jun 05

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe

make a shortcut to this on your desktop or start menu

VoG II 17:39 21 Jun 05
  Maturin 18:34 21 Jun 05

Take a look at this month's cover disc (DVD version). A couple of choices...

Also look at a recent issue of PCA (sorry cannto remember which one) for Acronis TrueImage 8.

Finally, forget software and think HARDWARE. Invest in a large external HDD and simply copy all the important folders and files to that; or more cheaply (if your machine can cope) a (small)cake of DVD RAM discs which are supposed to cope with 100000 rewrites and are said to last 50+ years [cf 1000+ rewrites for DVD+/-RW discs which last 25 years or so]

clock 10:12 22 Jun 05

ethelene

Thanks for your reply, you have hit the nail on the head! That's exactly what I did as I usually save everything this way on the hard drive, but I didn't get the option to save to disk or floppy and nothing seemed to happen

Anyway thanks all, will close this thread and just burn to disk as per my photos.

Clock

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…