Backing up to external HDD has just stopped

Pineman100 08:44 26 Nov 10

I run Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP laptop. I use a 1GB Seagate external HDD for backing up.

Having just returned from holiday during which I took a large number of photos (which I have transferred to my main C: drive under My Pictures), I wanted to back up my entire My Pictures main folder, which holds just over 10,000 files (a total of about 56GB) in something like 65 sub-folders.

Using Windows Explorer I set up a simple Copy procedure to copy all the My Pictures sub-folders into a folder on my external drive. I left this running overnight. The external drive had about 330 GB of space left on it, so there's plenty of room. In case it interfered with the process, I switched off Norton's Idle Time Scan process.

This morning, I find that the copy process has simply stopped halfway through. The Copying... window is still on the screen. The blue progress bar is about halfway across, and it reports that there are about 45 minutes of copying (26.5GB) left to be done.

There appears to be no HDD activity from either the external drive or my main C: drive. Everything on-screen looks normal - the process has just stopped.

Any ideas about this, please?

Pineman100 10:19 26 Nov 10

^

Pineman100 10:47 26 Nov 10

Well, I've taken the bull by the horns and stopped the copying process. Having waited an age for it to stop, I've restarted the computer.

To my surprise, I find that all of my picture folders have copied successfully to the external HDD, with the exception of two small zipped folders (holding about 8 images each).

Could this be the problem? Does the normal Windows Explorer copy process not know how to deal with zipped folders?

Pineman100 11:24 26 Nov 10

^

KremmenUK 15:47 26 Nov 10

It should do........

I think you were probably giving it too much to do in one hit.

Maybe one of the speciality utilities like SyncToy or SyncBack (manual run option) may be a more controlled route.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…