Backing up e mails in Office Outlook 2007

john bunyan 17:34 28 Dec 10

I found it difficult to change the default location of my Office Outlook back up .pst file. I have now moved it to a folder in "My Documents" where all my data is kept and I regularly make a mirror image using Freefilesynch to another drive. As only changed files are synched, it is far quicker than ATI (Which I also use, but mainly for my OS Partition, as I keep that seperate from the data one)By default e mails are in the OS partition.Can't think why this could be a problem but glad of any comments.

KremmenUK 06:49 29 Dec 10

I use Microsoft's free Outlook personal files backup tool (pfbackup).

Been using it for years through Outlook XP through Outlook 2010 and it works perfectly.

Forum Editor 08:38 29 Dec 10

file backup and synchronisation tool available from Microsoft - called SyncToy.

click here

john bunyan 09:01 29 Dec 10

Thanks - will give it a try. My point also was that I find it easier to have the eMail file as part of "My Documents" than buried in the user "App Data" - esprcially in a situation where one has the System / OS files in a separate partition to data (ie eMail becomes part of the data)

rawprawn 10:23 29 Dec 10

I use both methods, I use MS Oulook Backup click here to backup to "My Documents" and then I Use Sync Toy to sync a number of important files including Outlook .PST to my external drive.
Never fails, and easy to recover exactly what you want.

john bunyan 10:56 29 Dec 10

Thanks. My version of Outlook seems to have the MS Office Backup built in, but when I attempted to change the location of the backup to another drive to that set originally, when I closed the application to allow backup, only the original location was shown This seems a well known problem (via Google) so I now have the main Outlook .PST in (in my case where F: is my data partition) F/My Documents/Outlook, so this whole "My Documents" is the folder I synch (will look at using Synch Toy rather than Freefileshnch) Thus I save space in my c: drive by not having the .PST file there.

rawprawn 17:56 29 Dec 10

I'm glad you are all sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…