Backing up to DVD

Dirk Diggler 17:36 29 Sep 05

Please forgive what may seem like a silly question!

I have just had DVD writer installed in my PC and I have loads of music/photos etc that I would like to back up

Can I just write to DVD in the same way I would a CD using Windows XP or do I need software to make use of the 4GB DVD's?

User-312386 17:57 29 Sep 05

I would use a dedicated programme such as nero click here

rawprawn 18:21 29 Sep 05

I would use Acronis True Image, but there is no need to backup to DVD, Acronis makes it's own secure partion within your C: drive and can be restored by hitting F11 on boot. No problems, I would not be without it. click here

Skills 18:27 29 Sep 05

Windows XP built in burnin feature doesn't support writing to DVD's. A free app that does is click here or get something like nero.

Totally-braindead 18:40 29 Sep 05

I would also recommend Nero, just burn a DVD instead of a CD in the same way and it'll be fine. As in the case of photos to CD recommend making 2 copies and checking them every month or two months and if theres a disk fault immediatly make another backup. Nothing worse than losing your prized photos cos the disk has a fault or the disk gets dropped and scored or chipped on the edge of a coffee table or something.

Totally-braindead 18:42 29 Sep 05

Should have also mentioned, don't use DVDRW for long term storage they aren't reliable enough use DVDR.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…