Backing up data files to cd rw

Rutlander 18:57 09 Jun 06

When I wanted to back up my data files to cd rw using Sonic, the program told me I would have to delete the cd first.

I thought that if I had a list of files that I want to back up regularly, listed on the program, I would be able to make incremental changes, just changing the files that I have altered, or adding new files.

Do I have to buy a backup program to make incremental backups or should the ordinary burning software be able to do it? Am I doing something wrong?

ade.h 19:04 09 Jun 06

Sonic is fine for appending files to a disc in sessions, but I think you may be misinterpreting how CDFS works.

ade.h 19:06 09 Jun 06

Forgot to ask:

As you have Sonic, do you have DLA as well? If so, use that to format your discs and they can be treated exactly the same as a hard-disk or flash drive.

Totally-braindead 19:41 09 Jun 06

Personally I don't use CDRWs for backup. They are too easily corrupted, I use CDRs and burn them as a multisession file and keep adding until the disk is full.

Rutlander 07:19 10 Jun 06

Thanks ade.h. I can drag files across to the disk on the explorer screen. Does that mean I have DLA?

Can you explain how CDFS works or tell me where I can find out?

Rutlander 07:22 10 Jun 06

I meant dragging to the disk while on the Sonic screen with explorer open.

terryf 08:12 10 Jun 06

Please reconsider your backup philosophy, IMO you should consider buying an ext usb hd and backing up to that with something like acronis which will produce an image file. You can then restore separate files or folders or a complete partition

ade.h 12:15 10 Jun 06

If you have DLA, the option to format with DLA - as opposed to just a plain format - will listed in the context menu of your optical drive.

Rutlander 12:43 10 Jun 06

Thank you all for your answers. My brain is now back to normal,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…