Backing up on to D: drive

Astrid 16:08 14 Jan 10

My OS is Windows XP SP3 and I use Acronis True Image 2010 for backing up on to both a D:\ drive and an F:\ external drive. I see that, though they're both the same capacity, my C:\ drive has lots of free space whereas my D:\ drive is almost full. Does this mean I've been backing up wrongly? I want only incremental backup each day, but it seems to me that, as so much of the D:\ drive disk space is used up, it may be set incorrectly. I also have a large capacity external drive, so it wouldn't be too much hassle to format the D:\ drive and start again. I would be glad of some advice, please.

natdoor 21:56 14 Jan 10

If you have no additional data on the D drive and are making incremental back-ups of data files, then I suspect you have too many incrementals. In order to use these, every link in the back-up chain must remain error-free. Certainly for important data it is recommended to start again with a full back-up after a half a dozen or so incrementals, after which the old incrementals can be deleted.

john bunyan 23:20 14 Jan 10

May be worth looking at this thread.
click here
W7 but same comments.

David4637 11:10 16 Jan 10

DONT USE ATI INCREMENTALS, the risk of corruption in the many files involved is not worth the minimal time saving. David

Arnie 14:35 16 Jan 10

All my video and audio data are stored on DVD. This allows me to backup in less than 5 minutes.
I can also scan for malware, viruses and of course defrag more quickly.

Astrid, if you only have Acronis backups on your D: and F: drives, you should be able to simply delete the data as you would normally.
Do this and then make full backups as David suggests.

Astrid 14:40 16 Jan 10

I formatted my D drive and then when I opened ATI a new backup began with the partitioning, which took around seven minutes. I assume this is all I need to do for the time being - and to cancel the incremental daily backups. In future, maybe a weekly full backup?

Arnie 15:27 16 Jan 10

Astrid.
I am not familiar with ATI making an auto backup after a format.

With my first ATI v.11 use, I made a new image manually and verified the image.
If you open your D: drive and can see the ATI icon then you should be ok.

A weekly backup should be ok provided that you have not added any cherished data on your boot drive.
I tend to make backups every couple of days, simply because of the fast times I achieve.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…