Backing up C: Drive

IClaudio 19:06 PM 23 May 11

My Windows 7 installation is, I think, in bad need of a fresh start (Explorer keeps crashing, and there are several driver incompatibilities).

Most of my programs/games/data were installed/saved, not to the C: drive, but to another internal HDD. If I choose to 'repair' Windows on the C: drive, which I presume re-formats the drive, will my programs on the other drive still work as they should (as I assume some components, like DDLs, will reside on the C: drive)?

I have Acronis: how should I proceed?

I hope I have explained this well!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:21 PM 23 May 11

If you use Acronis it will just give you an exact copy of your drive including the problems

It sounds as if you want a Clean install of W7 or a factory reset, either will mean reinstalling most of your programs to get the required registry entries.

bremner 19:56 PM 23 May 11

As Fruit Bat has said you will need to reinstall all the program.

I would install tem on the C and then use Acronis to create an Image. That way if you have an issue in the future the reinstall is much easier.

You should aldo use Acronis to back up the data on your other volume.

birdface 20:53 PM 23 May 11

This may still be free I have never used it so cannot comment but it is the right price.

link text

IClaudio 23:15 PM 23 May 11

Thanks for all your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know