Backing up - A bit deeper - File Locations...

GibsonSt19 15:54 14 Jan 05

Hey all, reading these posts on backing up etc, I decided renew my data vows and stick to a back up routine.

I really don't want to back up any program files, or Operating System files, however I would like to backup all files which contain my saved personal preferences for various applications etc...

Like Opera, Internet Explorer, Outlook 2002, game saves etc.

Also, I'd like to be able to save my changes made to services.msc and similar things.

I'm sure most of you will agree that we invest so much time into tweaking programs and settings on our systems so that they work as efficiently as possible for us.

Basically, I'd like to know how to locate all of these files (many of which seem well hidden), back them up, and restore them if need be.

Thanks

Danoh 17:44 14 Jan 05

Different applications will use different methods and locations to store your personal preferences. Apart from common MS applications which many members of this forum will be familiar with, all other applications will require contributions from whoever has knowledge and experience of them.

Even if you post a complete list of the applications you are interested in, and you get members to post the specific locations for each one of them, it will take you a very long time to copy each and every one of them without missing one or two out.

Which is why most people would simply create a backup image of the whole lot, especially after all the time required to install numerous programs as well.

I presume your reluctance to back-up everything is down to space or capacity of CDs?

Jackcoms 19:14 14 Jan 05

If your OS is XP, you should back-up "Everyone's Documents and Settings".

This will save all your personal files (Word, Excel, etc), your Outlook calendar settings/entries, etc, your IE Favourites and history, your OE address book, Start Menu settings, your desktop/s, your music, videos, photos, cookies and other things such as Spybot (if you use it) logs, Windows Media Player settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…