Backing up advice please

Eileanbeag 15:35 18 Mar 06

If I were to buy an external hard drive would I be able to back up my complete hard drive on my computer? If so any advise on which type to go for

Totally-braindead 15:51 18 Mar 06

Yes but its not so easy as windows will be running when you try to do it and therefore it won't be able to copy it. You need to use a third party bit of software such as Norton Ghost and run it before windows starts.
I'm afraid I don't know that much about it as I've never tried it, don't have the software for one thing. Leave this thread open and I'm sure someone who is knowledgable about this sort of thing will advise further. As far as I know any external hard drive will work but again wait for some advise from someone who knows more about it.

pj123 15:51 18 Mar 06

The best way is to "clone" the hard drive not backup.

I don't have an external hard drive but I do have a hard drive which I install about every six months as a slave and clone my C: drive to it. It is then taken out of the computer and stored. All my other data is stored on my D:, E: and F: drives which are "backed up" daily on to CD/DVD

As I am on Win 98SE I use xcopy to do this, but if you are on XP you will need something like xxcopy from: click here or xxclone from: click here

Once you have a clone there is no need to "restore". All that is needed is to put the cloned disk in as master and reboot.

spuds 15:54 18 Mar 06

An external hard-drive would do this. Not to sure now, but it was either Novatech or Misco who was offering a complete unit (160GB or 200GB) for £89.99 last week, delivery extra.

terryf 16:12 18 Mar 06

I have a second hard drive and also an external USB hard drive. I only have static stuff like program files and Win XP on my C drive About 12 Gbs worth . All other stuff like docs, pics, tunes, downloads are on D drive, total size 160 GB. I use Acronis to make a backup of the whole of the C to the Ext USB drive and then do incremental backups if I add programs . This way I can effectively reload Windows and all programs in about 15 minutes. One thing to be aware of is that I found once that any folders on the D drive called by traditional M’soft names like My Documents may get swept up by the OS and put on to C so I call the document folder on D ‘Dossier’ and graphics are in a folder called Pics. You make a bootable CD with Acronis that loads up Acronis and lets you do a restore with a Windows-like interface from the USB drive even if Windows is corrupted. I then just have to update the AV and anti-spyware definitions that have arisen since my last incremental backup. The USB drive is then switched off until next time (having been swept for nasties) Works for me!

woodchip 16:29 18 Mar 06

I and meany more use Acronis True Image, so in the event of a Virus or problem that,s not worth looking for to sort out you can be back up and running in about 2o minutes of loading the Image file. This will only be back to when you made the Image you have to backup docs pictures etc as you work to another drive or CD's etc. So you can load these after Restoring the Image to bring your work up to date. click here

Eileanbeag 16:30 18 Mar 06

Many thanks for all advice - I will go and digest and make decisions - thanks all

terryf 16:35 18 Mar 06

PS I use a program called EA8 from click here This will backup all your email folders (and lots more useful stuff as well) In my case to either the D drive or the USB drive. You can then selectively restore or restore all. I have using this prog and its predecessors for years

Eileanbeag 16:42 18 Mar 06

Thanks for help - my main reason for backing up securely will be because I intend to use internet banking and want to make my hard drive as safe as possible

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now