Backing up

ExPara 21:43 31 Mar 03

I am used to backing up to floppies. Can I backup my files and update the same files using CD-RW?

zanwalk 21:54 31 Mar 03

In a word, yes. However, you may well find that CDR's are a better option, although you can only write once (you can write as many sessions as you want though - subject to disk space), as they are far more reliable than CD-RW's and available very cheaply.

Another option which I use is Compact Flash cards, these can be written and erased (or updated) just like a floppy.

wee eddie 22:04 31 Mar 03

Have a lot going for them. Simplicity being one thing.

Just copy and paste all your files onto the drive. Chose your size 100mg, 250mg & 750mg.

There have been stories that CD/RW degrades in a comparatively short time. CD/R has a better reputation but you will find threads here recomending that you do not use CD's for mission critical back-ups. This appears illogical to me as the software comes on a CD but that's what some threads say.

The whole thing depends on how much data you wish to keep copies of, and how long you are prepared to spend copying it.

ExPara 22:13 31 Mar 03

rayburn + wee eddie,
thanks, I think that I will try the CDR method first, I also have some SmartMedia cards off my camera so I will try that method as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…