Backing up to a 2nd disk drive?

EDDY7 10:45 24 Jun 04

I am thinking of installing a 2nd IDE HDD and useing it purely to keep a copy of My Documents on as backup in case anything goes wrong with the primary drive.
Can anyone recommend a free utility that will automatically do this? There’s so many to choose from! There’s a lot of data in there so I could do with it just updating the stuff that has changed since the last backup or even better just writing to both disks at the same time RAID style! Making a complete copy each time would take quite a while!
Thanks in advance!

Big Elf 11:10 24 Jun 04

I do it with a batch file. This is an extract:

xcopy C:\data\*.* /S /R /y /d:05/18/2004 d:\data
This copies files that have been created or updated on the 18 May from the 'Data' folder on the C:\ drive to the 'Data' folder on the D:\ drive and overwrites any files without prompting.

The above is for Windows 2000 and XP. The command format is slightly different for earlier versions of Windows.

I also use a batch file which opens up the backup batch file for editing and then I use 'Search and Replace' to change the date.

Big Elf 11:14 24 Jun 04

PS If the folder name is longer than 8 characters then you need to enclose the folder name within quote marks e.g.

xcopy c:\"documents and settings"\SRW\favorites\*.* /S /R /y /d:05/18/2004 d:\favorites\

rawprawn 14:04 24 Jun 04

click here Version Backup, is the best free backup I have seen yet. I hope that this link works, the site is in German and I have put up the translated link. If it doesn't type Version backup int google and then click on translate this page on the link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…