Background Picture Help.

MeandHer 17:32 03 Sep 08

I want to remove a picture from my desktop background settings.
But I can not see anything to remove it.
I have tried in control panel,appearance and themes,change the desktop background.
The reason i want it off is because I have put a new background on.
But when i switch pc off it is still showing old background picture after new picture closes.
Hope you can understand that.
Windows xp sp3.

Technotiger 18:06 03 Sep 08

A new background normally just over-rides the previous one.

Right-click on empty part of Desktop and then on Properties, then click on the Desktop Tab, then click on the Browse button and browse to your required picture, click on it and then on Apply and OK out.

skidzy 18:14 03 Sep 08

Im on Vista at the moment so maybe different.

Can you right click your desktop and change the picture via something like properties.

If this still fails,you may have a virus or spyware and removal first of the spyware is needed.
You may then be forced to edit the registry.

it is critical you backup the registry before changes are made,or at least,create a system restore point.

Then;

1.Start and select Run and type
"Regedit" (without the quotes) and enter

2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\policies

3. If you see a folder (key) "ActiveDesktop" select it. If not, make a new key and label it "ActiveDesktop".

4. If you see "NoChangingWallPaper", double-click the DWORD value and set it to "0". Otherwise, you need to create a new DWORD value of "NoChangingWallPaper" and set it to "0".

5. Try changing your wallpaper. If this fix doesn't solve the problem, you may also need to make the above registry changes at location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies .

Or;

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type: regedit
4. Navigate to the following registry entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

"Wallpaper"=SZ:C:\WINDOWS\desktop.html (yours might be slightly different)
5. Click one time on the entry
6. Push Delete on the keyboard
7. Click Yes
8. Close the Registry editor

rawprawn 18:39 03 Sep 08

In the old days background pictures used to be rotational. So to get rid of that picture completely try changing your Desktop picture once more, and if my guess is right the unwanted one will disappear.
You can the change your desktop to what you want.

MeandHer 19:16 03 Sep 08

Have deleted picture from MY PICTURES and it has gone from my desktop list.
Seems ok now.
Thanks for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5