Background Noise

pjwheeldon 14:20 13 Feb 07

I have noticed a (very faint) background noise on my PC. Sounds almost like the sound old dial-up modems used to make, but it varies depending on what I am doing. Moving the mouse pointer over a button or icon gives a slight increase in the noise, and some screens in games, especially when loading.

Nothing running in the background and all drivers up-to-date, but mobo is an Abit AV8 with onboard sound.

Any help appreciated, as always!

Open the volume control by double clicking the icon in the system tray or by going through the control panel.

Click options and then properties

Check the box for 'PC Speaker' and click OK.

Now mute PC Speaker in the Volume Control mixer and the noise should stop.

pjwheeldon 14:34 13 Feb 07

Thanks, [email protected], have already tried this without success. Also tried turning on and off the other various sound options alone and in combination but nothing!

What happens when you mute the master volume? Can you still hear it?

jack 14:40 13 Feb 07

Are you certain this is not from an external source?
For example a cordless phone base station?
or your cell phone?
A careful consideration of any peripheral equipment connected but not being operated should be taken in - printers/scanners and the like.
If not in use this session disconnect the usb.

pjwheeldon 23:37 13 Feb 07

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried moving all the various bits away from the case, and also untangled all wires but no difference. Also, the stuff that was there has been in muh the same place for the last year or so, but the sound issue has only developed in the last week or so.

[email protected], yes the sound does go off if I mute the master volume, so not tinnitus!!

woodchip 23:42 13 Feb 07

Think you will find it's the read head on the Hard Drive. Watch the light and listen to sound at the same time

pjwheeldon 01:02 14 Feb 07

Thanks for the suggestion but not the HDD. This is a faint sound, as described, and is coming through the speakers as it goes off when all is muted.

jack 11:50 14 Feb 07

This is a faint sound, as described, and is coming through the speakers as it goes off when all is muted.
-------------------o0o--------------------
From what you have tried, this is increasingly sounding like the beginning of a component failure,
a capacitor going down. perhaps
If you use sound a lot then consider investing in a sound card and disabling the on board sound.
But of course consider that the failing component[if indeed there is one] may not be associated with the sound chip - so it may still be around with the sound card.
Failing that if you can live without the sound - turn off the sound.

pjwheeldon 16:03 15 Feb 07

Following advice I disabled the onboard sound and installed a pci card I had spare. Problem solved! Thanks for the help, folks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now