Backdoor.Graybird

playmofire 22:01 16 Sep 05

Norton Antivirus suddenly threw up a warning this afternoon to say that it had deleted a file containing the virus Backdoor.Graybird. No problem with that as that's what Norton is meant to do. However, everytime I start the computer now I get this message. I've followed Norton's guide on their website for removing the file, but cannot find the file on my pc to remove. I've tried a system restore to an earlier, pre-virus time but without getting rid of it. It doesn't seem to be a problem as the file is deleted and the virus quarantined before I can do anything on the machine, but I would like to get rid of it once for all.

Any one any ideas? (Other, that is, than reformatting the hard disk and re-installing everything!)

johnnyrocker 00:08 17 Sep 05

what about a safe mode search?

johnny.

rdave13 00:41 17 Sep 05

Please click on search box(top left hand corner) and subbmit norton antivirus and draw your own conclusions ;)

GaT7 01:16 17 Sep 05

It appears that some registry values may not have been deleted, & if so, they will have to be manually deleted.

If you don't want to manually edit your registry, try an online scan & removal at Trend Micro click here.

If the scan doesn't work, the problem could be temporarily stopped by disabling the suspect entries in Windows Startup. Press Start>Run, type msconfig & press OK. Select the Startup tab, & untick any dodgy entries & reboot. Ask here first if not sure what to disable. Later, we can go about deleting the entries in the registry. G

PS - About the Trend Micro scan (taken from another site) - "Trend Micro's Housecall is one of the easiest online scanners to use - and one of the fastest. The Auto Clean feature automatically dispenses with any viruses it finds on your system. Or, run the scan without Auto Clean selected and select Clean or Delete from the results windows after the scan is complete. Housecall can scan the entire system, or selected drives and folders."

ahales42 01:42 17 Sep 05

before removing viruses, trojans etc. remember and turn off system restore.

playmofire 08:50 19 Sep 05

The Trend Micro scan seems to have worked, but I didn't find it particularly quick. Scanning for spyware and viruses together, after 17 minutes it said it was 99% complete and the various scan would start shortly. 13 minutes later it was still saying the same. I went to bed and left it running. An hour or so later, the link had dropped and so I reran it just on the virus scan. After 36 minutes it said the scan was complete and he report was being repaired; 10 minutes later, it was saying the same thing and so I went back to bed. In the end, however, it worked, which is the main thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…