//some 3rd party need geo

Backdoor Litmus virus

padi 18:26 04 Jun 03

I have just installed Norton Internet Security 2003 and on its firsI have picked up "Backdoor Litmus" virus. And Norton can not delete it, I have tried following Norton way to delete this virus without success, they say go into safe mode, but i can not get my PC into safe mode.Can any please help??

Dr. Charles 18:50 04 Jun 03

More detail please. What system are you running? What have you done try to delete this virus ,you just say Norton way does that mean you have not tried any other way than with Norton?

How did this infection happen and apart from the fact you say you cannot get into "Safe Mode" - -what happens when you try to get into "safe Mode" and how are you trying to get into " Safe Mode"??

All the above which you have not stated will help us to help you.

Regards,

Charles

The Spires 18:52 04 Jun 03

You usually get into 'Safe Mode' by tapping the F8 key just after the initial boot up screen. Instructions for removal are here click here You might find it ha#ndt to rrint the instructions out.

The Spires 18:54 04 Jun 03

I don't know what happened there read: 'You might find it handy to print the instructions out'.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:05 04 Jun 03
  Dr. Charles 21:07 04 Jun 03

> Go into the uninstall mode of Norton or go to your control panel and uninstall Norton. Don`t worry you won`t catch a virus whilst you are doing this. Norton can be a problem with certain programmes.Try this and post Please. I am sorry I am away from the board at presnt, but hopefully before I look how you are getting on at 10pm you might have other suggestions. Pleas if this fixes it do tell us as all information on XP and its problems are useful to everyone

Best wishes

Charles
>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Charles 21:10 04 Jun 03

No sorry don`t do that just down load the update of your virus checker as advised by GANDALF <|:-)>and run that. Please keep your answers as to results on the board

Regards,

Charles

Dr. Charles 22:03 04 Jun 03

Look at the posting "A warning to all Norton Firewall users by Gaz. It looks as if you have a problem with it. He says as below and other additional comments too. You might have to get rid of Norton and download AVG

I have downloaded the latest update from Norton, the new version 6.0 build.
However it has caused many problems for me and others in the forum.

The following happens to your PC:

From Tezil:

I have today downloaded the new updates for Norton Firewall and guess what when I re-started my PC as instructed to it took ages to re-start. When it eventually got to the desktop the Norton Firewall wouldn't start, My PC hung and I had to restart via the restart button on the PC case. I have Norton Anti Virus installed so I don't think it's your AVG software that's causing the problems.It looks like a case of Symantec ballsing the updates again. I have had to uninstall the Firewall and have installed Zone Alarm Pro and suprise, suprise everythings O.K. so it definitely looks like Symantec's fault with the Firewall update. Funny since uninstalling Norton Firewall things seem a lot quicker.I probably will be staying with Zone Alarm Pro now.

But mine also aint shutdown.

I had the same problems as above, system restore solved most but now liveupdate is messed up and restart still occours.

I have told norton and they know about the issue.

It also conflicts with AVG, so watch out.

I hope none of you are in the same boat as me, it is bad.

Just a warning!!!

Regards, Gareth

Dr. Charles 22:21 04 Jun 03

Also on that posting Timothy says;-

Timothy
That subseven trojan message that you get with Norton is pretty standard fare. I get two or three of those a day. It is not an attack just a quirk with Norton!

I hope this resolves matters. It looks as if this is a NOrton Problem - - - -- again!!

Regards,

Charles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…