backdoor infection - blhouse

awest3 11:27 09 Jul 08

I setup a xp laptop for my cousin, all usual stuff inc, avg, firewall, spybot, a2squared..etc.
He loaned it to a friend whose PC had broken. Its come back infected..how so with AVG running?.
When it starts is has a box (blue and yellow words) in the middle of the windows screen saying ' Warning spyware detected on your computer. Install anti-virus or spyware remover to clean your PC' The laptop is a Packard Bell Easynote, I know of no software on the machine which would put up such a warning so at the moment I'm assuming its part of the infection. After a few moments of running the black screen of death comes up...it then says restarting but I'm not sure it does because it come back to the normal windows screen as if nothing has happened. I ran A2squared and its found backdoor.win32.blhouse.c and another trojan which I missed the name of, I'll check it when A2 finishes. In the middle of A2 I got the Blue screen of death..but again it says restarting but came back with A" still running and at the same point...any advice on this issue would be welcomed. Al

Ditch999 12:03 09 Jul 08

Run the scans in Safe Mode

Ditch999 12:04 09 Jul 08

System Restore to a point prior to it being lent to his "friend"

awest3 12:07 09 Jul 08

Hi Ditch999, yep will try both of those thanks...the dumbo did not leave me the battery charger so it will have to wait until tomorrow now..Thanks I'll report back asap. Al

birdface 13:04 09 Jul 08

Superantispyware gets rid of most problems.click here

awest3 19:50 10 Jul 08

still waiting for charger..update soon

awest3 14:45 11 Jul 08

ok got the charger....can't find any restore points prior to the machine being lent out...strange as I set up at least 5 in June...however...I'm now running superantispyware so we shall see what infections are left. anyone know how to get rid of the box claiming spyware found...as described above..

awest3 15:06 11 Jul 08

found 21 infections up to now...mainly something call 'rogue' and a trojan horse....

awest3 15:24 11 Jul 08

interesting..the bluescreen and it as we suspected the black screens of death were a sham....if you hit esc qhilst in onw you got back to your ordinary screen..if you did not then they kept on coming..a different screen (code and file) each time..then it came up as restarting with what looked like genuine MS screen...only it wasn't. Superantispyware cleaned them all up, 25 infections in all. box on front screen also gone.

Thanks for your help on this it can go back nice and clean. Al

awest3 16:08 11 Jul 08

ouch..! was cleaning up after getting rid of the virus'..and lo after a restart they are back....
doing an A2 scan to see if that can kill once and for all.

awest3 17:00 11 Jul 08

it seems that this is 'antivirus2008' a spoof antivirus pgm

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…