back to xp from vista?

budsowna 21:54 14 May 07

i have recently bought a new pc with vista home basic pre-installed, i have tried it for a couple of weeks but it's too picky & complicated for me!

how easy would it be for me to go back to xp which i had on my old pc?

i have already registered my copy of vista online, does this make a difference?

sorry for being a little dumb but i'm still learning about pc's, before i only had one for the internet now i'm building & upgrading them myself, everybody's got to start somewhere, eh?

any help would be appreciated, ta

Diodorus Siculus 22:09 14 May 07

It will depend on the format in which your XP comes.

If you have a WinXP full CD (not OEM) then you can remove it from the old pc and install on the new one. Boot with the XP CD in the drive and follow instructions.

If you give more details of what you have, then someone will give you the info you need.

budsowna 10:08 15 May 07

my xp disc is oem but it wasn't supplied with my old pc, does that make a difference?

i haven't got any files on the vista pc that i want to save so can i just format that and install my oem xp?

i re-installed xp on the old pc a while ago and it wouldn't take the number o register it but after a call to microsoft, they gave me a new number and it installed ok, could i do that again?

budsowna 15:07 15 May 07

sorry to be a nuisance but can someone tell me there's an easy way of getting xp back?

i have the oem xp disc & licence so it should just install onto a clean hard drive, right?

i'm a little frightened of formatting my new hard drive but to get vista off and xp back on it's worth the sacrifice!

Diodorus Siculus 15:08 15 May 07

"my xp disc is oem but it wasn't supplied with my old pc, does that make a difference?"

Legally, yes - it should be installed in conjunction with the hardware it was sold with.

In practical terms no, it should install without problems.

"i haven't got any files on the vista pc that i want to save so can i just format that and install my oem xp?"

Yes, but may lose any warranty that came with the vista machine if you cannot reinstall vista in the case of problems; this will vary from PC to PC but in general is the case.

"i re-installed xp on the old pc a while ago and it wouldn't take the number o register it but after a call to microsoft, they gave me a new number and it installed ok, could i do that again?"

More than likely it will work again for you; the only problem is that it cannot be installed on two PCs at the same time.

Hope that makes sense.

Diodorus Siculus 15:10 15 May 07

"i have the oem xp disc & licence so it should just install onto a clean hard drive, right?"

You posted this as I was typing an answer - as I said above, it should be a case of booting with XP CD and installing from there - just bear in mind the issues I mentioned.

Totally-braindead 15:11 15 May 07

It depends on whether Microsoft would activate it again is the answer.
OEM is meant to die with the PC it is on hence the price being cheaper. You could try it but theres no guarantee that Microsoft will revalidate it as its clearly a new PC.
They might, they might not.
You could buy another OEM copy of XP for about £60 that would work and validate ok click here

budsowna 20:14 15 May 07

thanks to all for the help, very useful forum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…