Back-up strategies and software

Haysi 13:36 03 Jan 05

I have rather chaotic backup system as I have tried several methods over the years and wondered if there was any software that could check my old back-ups and tell me what has changed and needs backing up now, the old back-up disks mostly have normal data on or in 'zip' format - no proprietary file formats.

Mango Grummit 14:08 03 Jan 05

click here is very good.

JIM 14:11 03 Jan 05

I would consider the PowerBackup by Cyberlink very good offer price at £19.68 +you would be charged £1 58 for credit/debit transaction.

I have purchased the product on christmas eve,could have taken the free trial (reccommend you do that) very happy with the product.I also use there DVD Softeware so was aware of the products quality before hand.Give it a try, take a little time to go through the procedures, has its own file system and burning to cdr or cd/rw or dvd/rw etc.

REVIEW to read from. click here

click here

Haysi 15:01 03 Jan 05

Thanks for the suggestions but it does not look like either of them will check my existing back-up's to see what has changed.

JIM 15:44 03 Jan 05

But you say you have rather a chaotic backup system and i read it that you required a program that would solve your problems.

PowerBackup does, but you have to read the help files. As i said earlier. "Take a little time to go through the procedures" Download a free trial and check it out.Nought to lose.

The program would be no good to me if i could not update the information and see a report of the work or the changes.

PowerBackup offers three backup methods: Full, Differential, and Incremental. These backup methods are explained below:

Full backup: backs up all of the selected folders and files.

Differential backup: backs up only those files that have been added or modified since the last Full backup. These backups are larger, but when you restore from a Differential backup, you need only the original Full backup and the latest Differential backup for a complete set of data.

Incremental backup: backs up only those files that have been added or modified since the last Incremental backup. These backups are smaller, but when you restore from an Incremental backup, you need the original Full backup as well as each of the successive Incremental backups for a complete set of data.

Anyway the choice is yours and there are plenty of ways and software on how it can be done:)

€dstowe 15:47 03 Jan 05

There are a number of recent and current threads on this subject. Try a search of the forum to see the current thinking on this.

Haysi 16:42 03 Jan 05

I was really looking for something that would use my existing backup's as a starting point as they are fairly recent, and then just save the newer stuff, rather than having to make a complete new set to start from, from the info on the PowerBackup site "File comparison offers a simple method of comparing your archives with your existing files, enabling you to quickly identify which files you may like to restore." it only does something like this when it is restoring files and as I have a real 'slug' of a dial-up connection I did not want to download the trial without some indication that it was going to do the job.
Can't find any other threads that look like they are talking about the same kind of thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…