Back up software for use with external HDD

chrismuir 23:07 14 Feb 06

Hi

Am after the ability to plug my external HDD into the USB port on my PC, and for all changes in specified folders to be made to the back up contained on the external drive. I guess what I need is a program that allows me to specify which folders I want to track changes in (such as my pictures etc), and to make a back-up of those folders, rather than the whole HDD when I want to.

Is there a way of doing this in XP, or any freeware software that will do this?

Cheers

Chris

lester1 23:29 14 Feb 06

You could have a look here click here

billyliv 00:17 15 Feb 06

Hi, Find out the make of your hard drive (System drive) Go to their website and you will probably be able to download a Utility that enables you to do what you want. eg. Maxtor has MAXBLAST which allows you to copy the whole drive or selected folders. Cheers, Bill

chrismuir 13:49 01 May 06

Had a look at Maxblast (and their is something similar on the Lacie website - the make of external HDD i've got) but it seems to be designed for one-off copies.

I am after some software that will monitor all changes to specified directories (my documents, the location of my digital images, my emails etc). Then once a week i can connect the external HDD, start up the software and all changes since the last week will be duplicated on to the exernal HDD. I can do all this manually, but it takes time. Much rather let the software take the strain......

Chris

terryf 15:59 01 May 06

Bite the bullet and pay for Acronis True Image , it will allow you to backup files or folders, try before you buy is available from click here

rawprawn 16:22 01 May 06

click here Microsoft Sync Toy will do that fo you, I have been using it for about 1 month and found it very helpful

Boluwd 16:53 01 May 06

Rawprawn beat me to it! Sync Toy is just what you're after.

chrismuir 17:24 01 May 06

Cheers

Downloaded synctoy - as you say, its just what I need!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…