Back up software - Please can you recommend

RWBCAM 11:48 25 Jul 06

I have purchased a separate hard disk for the purpose of backing up my laptop. In the event of it blowing up or being stolen, I would like to be able to re-establish the whole lot on another pc, including being able to boot it up.
It would be nice to be able to do full backups and the 'differential' (is that the right word) backups in between. I did try some freebie magazine software but did not find it easy to use.
A friend of mine mentioned 'Norton Ghost' but I have no idea if this would do all that I would like to do.
Any recommendations gratefully received.

SANTOS7 12:00 25 Jul 06

click here
highly regarded on this forum, i use it myself, it will do all that you want and i don't think you will find it cheaper.
As for amazon, been useing them for years, faultless,
hope this helps,good luck.....

wee eddie 12:10 25 Jul 06

If they nick the PC, it's likely that they'll nick the HDD as well, unless it's well hidden.

If you plan to install your back-up onto another PC, the likes of Ghost and the, much recommended, Acronis will be of little use to you as their speciality is a Full System Back-up, which would probably muck up the PC you were reinstalling the Back-up to.

The word is, I believe "Incremental" meaning that you have a base copy on your back-up medium and it then only adds the changes each time.

I now use Dantz as it came with the Drive. On my previous HDD I used the Windows "Send To" facility but had a slight hitch as it does not "Verify" the files that it has copied.

johndrew 14:26 25 Jul 06

I started to use Acronis True Image relatively recently (on recommendation from someone on this forum) and wish I had used it from day one. It is easy to use and provides everything you are likely to need to keep your data safe from most sources.

I agree with wee eddie, you should use an external drive for backups but you should also keep it well guarded - preferably in a locked steel cabinet.

wee eddie 15:23 25 Jul 06

If you try to down load the image of 1 drive onto another PC which already has an OS set up on it.

Usually one is restoring such an image to the drive that it was taken from, and has just recovered from some sort of problem

There are experienced users here that will be able to tell if this is the case and if so, how to circumvent it.

It doesn't matter at all how easy a program is to use if, when you need to Restore, it is not suitable for your requirements.

isca2 17:21 25 Jul 06

I would agree that Acronis True Image 9 is the best there is at the moment.

terryf 21:26 25 Jul 06

I think you will have problems if you try to restore to another machine UNLESS the hardware is absolutely identical in every respect. Other than that I agree with SANTOS7 and others that this is a smashing bit of software and I wouldn't be without it.

Strawballs 21:35 25 Jul 06

I agree with terryf on this one unless your hardware was identical all of your drivers from the old machine would conflict with the new one.

woodchip 22:28 25 Jul 06

If you have any kind of problem other than a Bad drive Aconis Image will over write the old Partition and put it back in working order as at when you made the Image. You can also restore a single file if the need arises. When you know how to use the software

woodchip 22:31 25 Jul 06

PS I keep mine on a External USB hard drive, it as to be on the first partition for Acronis to be able to see it when you want to restore. I also use Acronis Rescue CD that I made so I don't have to have the Program on My hard drive. I just start with the CD in the Drive and can create or Restore after it loads into memory

ArrGee 23:48 25 Jul 06

Have a look at this. I also use this for my businesses. Easy to use, very straight-forward. Never had a problem with it.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…