back up to second hard drive again

Newuser2533 00:29 03 Aug 03

Although I received a very fast response from my previous request on this subject, which I thank jim for, I was blown apart from the write up on the pcworld site.
Norton Ghost 2003 was said to be dificult for beginers like myself, it had very little support and the writer would only recomend it for "PC pros".
Knowing that I'm not computer literate, would anyone support the sentiments of the pcworld writer and if so, is there another back up utility please.
Sorry to be a pain.
Ron

Peter 00:35 03 Aug 03

I don't think Norton Ghost is such a beast to use, but if you want an alternative you could try Drive Image from PowerQuest.

Peter.

Forum Editor 00:45 03 Aug 03

the original thread, but if what you're wanting to copy files and/or folders from one drive (master) to another (slave) you can do it easily enough in Windows Explorer.

Just drag and drop the files and/or folders from one drive to another, but before you start make sure you have enabled the option to 'show hidden files and folders' in Tools/folder options/view from the menu in any folder. Click the option to apply this rule to all folders and away you go.

Many people aren't aware that you can do this in Windows Explorer, and that (unlike other copying facilities) this method will allow you to copy Windows system files - even though they may be in use at the time.

Wak 10:10 03 Aug 03

Hi, if you want a good and easy way to back up EVERYTHING to a second hard drive, try XXCOPY from click here
I've been using it for 18 months now and never had a problem with it.
It's FREE, QUICK and EASY.
After installing XXCOPY, to back up (including system files, registry, programs, data files, etc) go to Start/Programs/MS-DOS Prompt and type:-

XXCOPY C:\ D:\/CLONE (press ENTER)

Note the space between the \ and the D.
Everything is copied (cloned) in 2/3 minutes.
If your main drive goes belly up or gets corrupted, just load up your back-up drive and copy it back again to the main drive.
When loaded, your back-up drive will then become your C:\ drive and your main drive will be your D:\ drive, therefore, just repeat the above instruction (ie. C:\ D:\/clone)

jimv7 10:17 03 Aug 03

Try this site click here

once you start ghost its easy,
drive to drive/drive to image/drive from image + other options.

you also can run it from within windows which will then restart and run ghost.

SEASHANTY 10:21 03 Aug 03

I also found Ghost complicated to use. Drive Image is far better. The new edition of this is Drive Image 7 but it only supports Windows XP and 2000. For other versions of windows you would need Drive Image 2002. Believe if you purchase the retail boxed version of D.I.7 (about £40) it also includes the D.I. 2002 version.

Wak 20:02 03 Aug 03

BUMP

I think this is the latest thread which seems to have been overtaken by the earlier one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…