Back Up Problem

R.C.M. 20:24 26 Mar 06

I backed up all my settings onto an external hard drive. Today, after a reinstall all my email addresses have gone. The file on the external hard drive [email address backup] has not loaded into my computer. I have tried to open it but it will not let me work with it. It is a IAF file.

Has anyone any suggestions how I retrieve the information and load it into my address book in outlook express.

howard63 20:38 26 Mar 06

normally addresses are exported via file - export. They are then imported using file - import - address book.

R.C.M. 20:52 26 Mar 06

I did use File export when I backed up the email addresses to my external hard drive - and I'm unsuccessful in trying to recover the file using file import addresses.

It will not recognize the file format IAF?

VoG II 20:54 26 Mar 06

An IAF file is an Outlook Express account settings file click here

Your address book should be a WAB file.

R.C.M. 21:57 26 Mar 06

I thought I would try to see if I could start a new address book in outlook express. The only email address I could remember was my own, so I put it into the address book, used file and export and the address book went to my external hard drive beside the file [IAF] that I can't open. I then deleted my address from outlook express and used file, import and retrieved the copy from my external drive - it worked fine.

I'm at a loss as to how I managed to get it wrong in the first place. Thanks for your help

woodchip 22:00 26 Mar 06

If you used Windows backup then you have to use that to restore files

R.C.M. 22:11 26 Mar 06

I have managed to get some of my contact emails from a friend. I have started a new address book and I have saved it too my external hard drive.

I will just delete the IAF file as it's far too complicated for me. Thanks for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5