Back plane 'Press stick'

jack 14:48 27 Feb 06

Having now acquired enough bitz in the spare box to make another computer, I purchased a new powered case at the local computer fair.

On the back plane instead of the familiar flange with threaded holes for the PCI cards to lock onto- there is an aperture, onto which screws a sheet metal box with a series on tabs. The carton caries an illustration of the components inside and the number, and this item is called a
'Press stick'.
I have used it as the illustration suggests but it seems not a very satisfactory way of securing the back end of a card at all. As it happens the only card to go in will be the Graphics in the AGP slot, with its own 'slot lock' .
Have any of you builders come across this method before and can comment?

Gongoozler 14:59 27 Feb 06

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but the nearest I've come across is on some cheap boxes there is a long tab at the back of the box onto which the PCI card tabs screw down. This tab is then covered by a box-like device. It looks cheap and nasty, but it appears to do the job. After all, the only function of the tab on the cards is to prevent the cards rocking sideways or lifting out of their sockets.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 27 Feb 06

As with Gongoozler I fitted some old components into a new box after a PSU failure(cheaper to buy a new case than a custom PSU)

This had the box arrangement you refer to and did seem odd at the tim ebut has don its job of securing the cards graphics ethernet and modem.

Tog_ 15:24 27 Feb 06

Can't picture it from your desciption but if it's any help, I have come across two cases that don't use screws. One has a recess that the PCI card end-plate fits into then you slide a tab across the top to hold it in place which works a treat. The other is a Dell thing that annoys the hell out of me, it covers the screw holes by hinging down across all of the slots, unfortunately, the blanking plates tend to fall out while you're doing it so you need 3 hands!

jack 20:19 27 Feb 06

I have photoed the Beast
click here
You can see the card from the inside with its tab poking through the slot.
The 'Press Stick' lifted with its tabs in evidence- I assume the ides is to get those tabs down inside the back plate of the card.
View also from the out side.

On another note
See the multi ribbon? This is not marked ,as the switch plugs are. The tower has two front mounted USB ports, I assume this is the cable end for these to be plugged to a suitable header, Am I correct?

jack 08:26 28 Feb 06

^^

martjc 08:43 28 Feb 06

...It seems the cheap case makers have found a new way to save money by excluding the screws and replacing with this little alloy strip - another great potential way for PC builders to cut their fingers on sharp edges. Personally, I would avoid this like the plague, but you dont always get the best opportunity to view the stuff at computer fairs, do you?

It will probably work fine after some fiddling around, which would be exaperated by a greater number of expansion cards, but as I said, it would not be for me!

Good luck!!!

rmcqua 08:54 28 Feb 06

I recently encountered one of these when upgrading a friend's elderly Compaq machine, which rather surprised me. Nasty bit of metal work but seems to function OK.

jack 09:26 28 Feb 06

Cracked it Thanks.
Cut fingers - Tell me about it!
At the last count 6 across 3 fingers and wrist - stings like hell
What was it Her Majesty's husband said about gentlemen of oriental persuasion?

Gongoozler 10:04 28 Feb 06

The "multi ribbon" cable looks like it could be USB, but the only ways to be certain are to either phtsically trace the route of the cable to the front panel USB sockets, or to use a multimeter to confirm the connections. You probably have two rows of USB header pins on your motherboard. You will need to be very careful to identify the pin functions on the motherboard because there is no standard and if you get them wrong you could intantaneously cause irrepairable damage to the motherboard and/or any USB device you plug into a front USB port. The motherboard header sequence is usually 5V Data Data 0V, but often the headers are 2 rows of 5 pins, so the challenge is to identify where the 5V is. The two data pins in each row are Data+ and Data-. Getting them the wrong way round won't do any harm, but I don't know if the data will be read properly. Your motherboard manual should tell you the pin functions.

jack 12:10 28 Feb 06

Thank you Gongoozler for the USB- warning
Have printed it and will tread warily -such as taping the darn cable out of the way, and make do with the 'board back plane ones

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…