Back-up methord - Help needed please?

Gaz 25 16:33 09 Jun 03

I need a very reliable full system back-up and restore system so if things go wrong I can restore from a boot disk.

I have heard a HDD imaging system will do the trick, which program will copy all my files and windows installation to a CD-RW, simalar to manufacturers restore disks?

I am not intrested in DVD-RW becuase they are slowish and external or raid HDD could fail or get infected with a virus so CD-RW is my best option?

Regards,
Gareth

PS. Thanks in advance for any help,

hugh-265156 16:37 09 Jun 03

norton ghost im told is good.

-pops- 16:39 09 Jun 03

I've always found that CDRW disks are less than reliable. I wouldn't trust my backups on them.

Brian

Gaz 25 16:41 09 Jun 03

What would you say is the best then -pops-?

Sir Radfordin™ 16:44 09 Jun 03

Back up to DAT tape if its really that important.

Otherwise use CDR's they are better than CDRWs for reliability.

Gaz 25 16:48 09 Jun 03

Ok, CD-R, but what software do I use to make a full system backup?

3Toed 16:49 09 Jun 03

I use norton ghost 2003 to 'ghost' a partition with a clean install to my 2nd hardrive.Not let me down yet.

-pops- 16:54 09 Jun 03

I back up to a dedicated hard drive installed in a removable caddy. I use Powerquest DriveImage mainly because I'm used to it. I've thought about Acronis TrueImage which seems better and easier to use but I'm too complacent to change.

DAT is THE way to back up but is expensive. CDR's are cheap and better than CDRW disks.

Brian

Gaz 25 16:56 09 Jun 03

If I purchace this software can I make all my backups go to a CD-R so I just need to boot up and run the disc to install just as it was?

-pops- 17:01 09 Jun 03

For Acronis click here and download the pdf of the manual. It goes into great detail about the program.

Acronis will also write to a number of different media, some of which are not supported by Ghost or DriveImage.

I really must get my finger out and give it a go!

Brian

Gaz 25 17:07 09 Jun 03

Looks good!

But can you make a full recovery on to one CD-R?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…