Back to IE6 from IE7

Cymro. 11:29 09 Sep 07

I have quite happily been using IE7 for the past few weeks until I noticed a slow down in my computer. So I set about clearing out temp. files via the tools option.

No matter how much I tried I could not get rid of the temp. files. I tried such things as Regscrub, did a defrag, checked for viruses etc. etc.

Out of desperation and curiosity I reverted to IE6 and was immediately able to delete temp. files via the tools menu.

I assume this is another IE7 problem, but I had rather got used and liked IE7, so any suggestions or am I like some others condemned to using IE6 for ever.

Taff™ 11:53 09 Sep 07

Have had no serious problems with IE7 although sometimes a fresh install cures initial installation problems. I then use CCleaner to delete all temp files. I`ve never really bothered with the IE7 tools options click here Works every time.

ive had no problems with IE7,if you want to reset it rather than revert to IE6,
tools>internet options>advanced>reset

I also use IE7 pro
click here
which has many additional benefits

provider 2 12:21 09 Sep 07

Not quite sure what you have in mind when you say "temp. files" but a whole heap of things can be deleted using IE 7> Tools> Delete Browsing History.
Failing that there is always Disc Cleanup.
And failing that Browser Cache can be deleted using Ashampoo Winoptimiser 3, though deleting it makes finding your fav. web pages a bit slower.

birdface 13:57 09 Sep 07

Have you tried .My Computer.Right click C Drive.Press Disc Clean Up.It will give you a few options.But that should get rid of any Temporary Files.

Cymro. 17:37 09 Sep 07

Thanks to all.
On the basses of "if it ain't broke don`t fix it" I will stick with IE7 for now.
With IE6 I am able to delete Temp. Internet Files with no problem.

provider 2 22:48 09 Sep 07

Cymro

Saw your resolved tick, but your answer confuses me in the respect that you seem to think that IE 7 does not give you the option to delete these files.

My understanding is that it does. Have you clicked "Delete Browsing History" under "Tools" in IE 7? In the window that appears the first delete option is "Temporary Internet Files Copies of web pages, images and media that are saved for faster viewing". Is it not these that you want to delete?

provider 2 23:02 09 Sep 07

If I have completely misunderstood (again!),and you have done all the necessary clicking and hitting delete button, then I think, as Taff suggested, a re-install is the quickest way to sort this kind of problem.

Cymro. 10:33 10 Sep 07

Yes indeed it is Temp. Internet files of web pages that I am having difficulty deleting in IE7. I have already tried by clicking on Delete Browsing History under Tools but for some reason this will not work.

I think this may be as the Apply option at the bottom is shaded out. Thanks to you and Taff about the option of re-installing IE7 I never realized this was possible. If in the future I reinstall IE7 then I will remember about that, but for now I will stick with IE6.

provider 2 16:38 10 Sep 07

Cymro

Apologies for being such a crashing bore but this has me confused now:

"I think this may be as the Apply option at the bottom is shaded out."

There is no "Apply" button at the bottom of the Delete Browsing History widow in IE 7, only "Delete All" and "Close".

Could you be referring to the delete options which appear in the "Internet Options" window? I can`t remember exactly but I seem to remember this is how it was done in IE 6.

Cymro. 16:56 10 Sep 07

As I have deleted IE7 I can`t check it out but as I remember it it was just like IE6 and as you say at the bottom it has O.K. and Cancel and then Apply but the apply is shaded out on mine in both IE7 and IE6. It is not browsing history that I was having difficulty deleting in IE7 but the Temporary Internet Files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…