Back Up Files Information

23790954 21:10 05 Jun 06

I have just installed Windows XP Professional on my daughter in laws desktop computer. Due to the position, I had to make a clean install on a formatted hard drive. However she is a professional lady who has important files on her old hard drive which requires transferring to the new hard drive on her system. I have tried copying these files and folders (My Documents) onto a DVD with Nerio Suite, which was successful, but I am finding it very difficult restoring them on the new hard drive, with Nereo Suite. So far this has proved unsuccessful, maybe due to me being elderly and not understanding the correct method. Can anyone advise me on the easiest way of transferring the files and folders, or even the easiest software for caryying out this task. The new hard drive is being fitted to her existing system, from which the old hard drive was removed, and the system is fitted with a DVD/CD writer. Many thanks to all who take the time to offer their help.

VoG II 21:16 05 Jun 06

I think that you will need to provide a lot more information - e.g. the error messages.

The simplest way of doing this would be to fit the old HD as a slave drive. Then you might need to take ownership click here

Joe R 21:17 05 Jun 06

Have you tried copying and pasting the files, from the dvd.?

23790954 22:41 05 Jun 06

Many thanks ofr your interest. The hard drives are both SATA hard drives. In response to Joes helpful suggestion, I have not tried this approach, and as I am unfimiliar with such things as pasting and copying I would not know where to start. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

terryf 00:11 06 Jun 06

To copy a file, left click on the file, hold down the CTRL key and press the C key (this makes a copy of your file in a location called the clipboard). Left click on the folder where you want to place a copy of the file, hold down the CTRL key and press the V key (this will copy (paste) the file from the clipboard into that folder). For the future, a very good place to get info is by clicking on the desktop and pressing F1 to bring up Windows help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…