Back up to CD-RW: Read-only attribute

Newuser276 11:13 28 Oct 03

I have about 1.2 Gb of data in various folders which I need to back up regularly, so I back up to CD-RW using Nero 5.5. However, I dread ever having to recover the data as the Read-only attribute of all the files, and there are hundreds of them, are set on by this back up process and would have to be set off after recovery before the files could be used.

I have read in several places that, while backing up to CD-R sets the Read-only attribute on, backing up to CD-RW does NOT set it on. If only this would work for me, I would have a satisfactory back up policy.

Does anyone out there know how I can prevent the Read-only attribute being set on when writing to CD-RW? If not, does anyone know how I can do a bulk reset once the files have been recovered to hard disk? I would, of course, prefer prevention to cure. My pc runs under Windows ME.

temp003 11:30 28 Oct 03

Read Only applies to CDRW as well.

Next time you back up, put all the folders and files into one big folder.

To restore, copy folder back to computer, right click folder, select Properties, and untick "Read-Only". Then you'll receive a prompt. Select apply changes to all subfolders and files, and click OK.

Then move the individual files/folders to their proper places.

temp003 11:40 28 Oct 03

If you don't need to restore everything you backed up, but the files and folders are still too numerous to be "processed" one by one, do this.

Create a folder on your computer. Copy from your backup those folders and files you want to the new folder. Double click folder. Click Edit, Select All. Right click any part of the highlighted area. Select Properties, and do the same thing as before. Don't be put off if the Read Only box appears greyed out. Just untick it and follow the prompt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…