Back again

PurplePenny 14:44 15 Apr 04

Please will you take a look at my library pages again? I hope that I understood what you all meant about the headings looking like links and links looking like text!

I know that a lot of you felt the blue sidebar should be fixed width but for various reasons I'm sticking with percentage (albeit a narrower percentage).

The individual library information pages are turning out to be not as temporary as the committee had hoped so I've spruced the up and brought them into line with the main pages. I'm still wating for an official ruling on opening pages in new windows. At the moment only links that go outside my little sub-site open in new windows but the committee feels that the individual library pages should open in new windows too. What do you think?

Taran - it's valid now :-) I put it through both the W3C and the WDG validators. The latter flagged a couple of things that the W3C validator had allowed through (in the JavaScript).

FE - I also put it through the colour-vision simulator that you gave the link for and I'm very pleased (and relieved) to report that my colour scheme passed. You were right about the table for the library list - it looks much better now.

Sir Radfordin 15:20 15 Apr 04

Any chance of the link again?

Taran 16:28 15 Apr 04

Here is Penny's link, always assuming that she is using the same URL as last time:

click here

I'll grab a sneaky peaky in a while and post back.

PurplePenny 17:07 15 Apr 04

My brain needs defragging ... or maybe a bit more RAM would help.

Taran 17:36 15 Apr 04

I know I need to get out more.

But I'm sighing the contented sigh of looking through a very nice series of code blocks which together combine to make up a very well implemented design.

I'd fault it if I could.

Really, I would.

But I can't.

So I won't.

A fine example of what CSS and XHTML can and should be.

I'll be out of a job if you carry on at this rate...

Very well done Penny.

Forum Editor 20:04 15 Apr 04

is the word. It's precisely what it is intended to be - an information resource, and it does the job admirably.

I can find nothing to nit-pick about either.

Gold star on chart, Penny.

PurplePenny 20:52 16 Apr 04

Taran & FE - oh my. Thank you. You've made my day. In fact you've made my week :-*

fourm member - actually I'm glad that you reminded me that it doesn't look so good in IE. Now that library has given me a new PC (from W95 to XPPro!) I have IE so I can check it and tweak the CSS.

BTW - I'm happy to relate that the PHP/MySQL course is being run again this term and this time I got in straight away and have booked myself a place on it. It is only a three day course but it will get me started.

Thanks again, (I won't mark it resolved just yet).

Forum Editor 23:32 17 Apr 04

I'm afraid that your comment that "XP Pro keeps 20% of your bandwidth for itself" is false. You are (no doubt unwittingly) repeating one of those urban myths that so often circulate about Microsoft products - particularly Windows. Windows 2000 introduced QoS (quality of service) features using an admission control service and the Internet Engineering Task Force's RSVP signalling.

XP doesn't support these two protocols but provides its own QoS components. The QoS packet scheduler dialogue box in XP Professional shows a default "bandwidth limit" of 20%. It was this that started the (false) rumour that XP secretly withheld a fifth of your bandwidth for its own use, even if its QoS packet scheduler was turned off.
The truth is that there's absolutely no restriction unless your computer is on a network which specifically supports XP-style QoS and it's requested by an application, such as a streaming media player. Then - and only then - does the restriction apply.

In parctice this means that virtually nobody using WinXP Pro will experience any loss of bandwidth at all.

Taran 11:12 18 Apr 04

If you ask really nicely, or in the unlikely event that you're allowed to run installs yourself, you could arrange to install or have installed MySQL and PHP into IIS [Internet Information Services] which is an optional part of XP Professional.

Then you'll have a very nice local web server for your development wok which will cope with all of your MySQL and PHP projects as well as offering you dedicated ASP and Access support, should you decide to give in to the tempation of the dark side...

PurplePenny 12:28 18 Apr 04

A most excellent thought (weekend notwithstanding).

It would greatly facilitate my next project which is to make the individual library info pages database driven.

Forum Editor 18:30 18 Apr 04

Rest assured - it doesn't, unless you're on a network and the circumstances are as outlined in my previous post.

I fear we're boring Penny with this - it's a bit off-topic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…