back advice please

sunny staines 19:06 08 Nov 06

I want to back up serveral gig of folders on my desktop pc to a laptop [the laptop shares the same internet via wifi if that helps in any way]. then afterwards move then back after a reformat. would i have to set up a network or can i get a cable to connect the two computers and some free software to transfer them.

another option if the above is a non starter can i use ghost ver 9 to clone onto a external usb2 harddrive [not got one yet though] then restore back afterwards.
had problems cloning to dvd's in the past so do not want to try that again.

anskyber 19:28 08 Nov 06

Are they both running XP? click here

anskyber 19:30 08 Nov 06

A fuller explanation. click here

sunny staines 19:53 08 Nov 06

desktop on xp pro laptop on xp media centre 2005.

sunny staines 20:03 08 Nov 06

anskbar
I do not want to transfer any settings, just a folder containg my cd collection, and some folders containing a load of docs & saved downloads. once I have cleaned up the desktop and reloaded xp and tiedied up some partitions [none spare at present] i will move all the folders back again. andget some upto date ghost clones done with ghost so i don't have this saga again.

anskyber 23:11 08 Nov 06

The second click here explains that you can customise the transfer to just a sigle file if you wish.

If its limited to the things you have mentioned would it not be simpler to burn to CDS?

woodchip 23:22 08 Nov 06

You can do it two ways using a USB link cable or as you say use what you have, if you have a router. Just go into Control Panel click Network wizard Start both computer and printers and other items that can be shared. run the Wizard and make the floppy when it asks you. put the floppy in other computer double click on the file on the floppy disc this will setup the network. Next you have to go into My Computer or as I do Windows Explorer right click what you want to share and tick the boxes. Go to the bottom of the tree expand Show all Networks click on MSHOME You can then drag and drop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…