Back up - advice for new starter please

JaßîsFaß ˜ 20:33 12 Dec 04

I am hoping you can advise me what files, software, settings etc I should back up and how.

Never done this before and have only had this PC for a few months. I guess i need advice on the following but any other hints are much appreciated.

Backup software,
Back up to CD, DVD, floppy,
Which files, software,
How often,
Restoring from backups.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:37 12 Dec 04

PCW are flogging an external 80Gb HD for £59.99 (Freecom I think), I would put it on your Xmas list ASAP. I'm not sure if it comes with backup software but have a butcher's here click here.

G

JaßîsFaß ˜ 20:51 12 Dec 04

Forgot to mention I have some software Nero BackItUp, is this a good piece of software?

Thanks GANDALF, I may consider an external hard drive later, but at the moment i have a 120GB drive which is fairly empty at the moment. Hoping I can back up to a CD/DVD for the time being.

VoG II 20:54 12 Dec 04

I use Windows own backup click here

It isn't brilliant but it does what I want. I backup to 250 MB zip disks about once a week.

I suggest that you await a response from €dstowe - he is passionate about backing up.

Diodorus Siculus 20:55 12 Dec 04

click here for an excellent guide to backing up; something like Ghost will also help - click here for a guide.

Partitioning your hard disk will also help - that way, if you mess up your OS, your data will be fairly safe - backing up to CD / DVD is good advice though.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 20:59 12 Dec 04

Cheers, found that guide at langa.com already.

I have a partitioned hard drive, how does that help?

Diodorus Siculus 07:58 13 Dec 04

Having a partitioned hard drive means that you can image one partition onto another - say, drive C onto drive D.

€dstowe 08:28 13 Dec 04

Well, I'm here!

I wouldn't describe my enthusiasm for backing up as a passion - more an insurance policy.

Rather than witter on at length yet again (to some people's displeasure) can I ask you to look via the search on this site or, have a look click here

JaßîsFaß ˜ 01:50 14 Dec 04

Cheers, was waiting for your input since VoG™
mentioned you. Got quite a bit to be going on with. Naturally I use the site search, but there may always be something new to know of beware of.

Would still appreciate if any one can comment on Nero BackItUp.

Gandalph 03:56 14 Dec 04

I use Nero to back-up filed to CD-R roms and have never had any problems with it. I have very rarely to to bring back-ups from the backup CD to where I copied them from but when I have it has done the job very well.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 12:59 15 Dec 04

May start my delving into backup over weekend

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…