Back up advice needed

cracker23 10:26 27 Mar 03

Hi.I always back up "my doc's" without fail every week.Yesterday,I had a new HDD fitted and was amazed at the speed that the engineer transfered everything on the old drive to the new one.He used Norton Ghost.Can anyone tell me what is available out there as,at the moment,if I had a fatal crash it would take hours to re-load everything.I only have the one HDD so I suppose that limits things a bit.Any advise would be welcome.Thank you in advance

pj123 12:02 27 Mar 03

You would need to get yourself another hard disk, maybe an 8, 10 or 20gb. It would need to be formatted and installed as a slave.

then boot to windows and go to START, RUN and type in: xcopy c\:*.* /e/h/k/r/c d: and press enter.

Make sure you have a space between the *.* and /e... and another space between the /c and d:

this will copy everything from your c drive to the d drive.

You can then leave the d drive in as a slave or remove it and keep it for a rainy day.

Don't forget it will only have up to the date you did the copy on it.
pete

pj123 12:04 27 Mar 03

Sorry, should have also said it won't work with Windows XP. For XP you would need a third party programme like, Norton Ghost or Drive Image.

cracker23 12:15 27 Mar 03

Sorry too,I forgot to say I've got XP

Switcher 12:33 27 Mar 03

If you have a spare bay fit a removable HDD tray.

Fit another HDD into this tray.

Use Ghost to clone from your main drive to this new hard drive.

Place new hard dive in a safe place.

Clone again at regular intervals.

mole44 12:45 27 Mar 03

get ghost from pcworld etc,i use it its superb.in fact i likeit better than sliced bread

Taran 13:20 27 Mar 03

Powerquest Drive Image click here or Norton Ghost click here are the market leaders for drive cloning.

You can either back up to a partition on your current hard drive, otherwise you will need a suitable destination device such as a second hard drive or a CD Writer.

Check out the links and see if either product fits your requirements. I use both and I don't feel that there is much to choose from between them, although most people develop a preference for one over the other.

Paranoid Android 13:33 27 Mar 03

I use the exact same method as suggested by switcher and it works a treat. I have a piece of soft foam on one of my shelves to avoid jarring the HDD when I put it away. Physical damage is the only significant risk with removable drives.

Ghost runs from a boot disk with XP and captures everything including the system state. Complete system can be recovered in 15-20 minutes. Individual files can be recovered in Windows XP using Ghost Explorer.

Marvin.

cracker23 13:33 27 Mar 03

Thanks everyone.Taran,will take a look at those two.Ta again

Lú-tzé 13:41 27 Mar 03

cracker23 - have a look click here for general info re. backups.

And click here for an excellent guide to Norton Ghost.

cracker23 14:35 27 Mar 03

thanks everyone.As I havn't got a spare bay it'll have to be either Norton ghost or Drive image.Havn't made up my mind as to which one tho'.Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…