Back up

campal 20:27 06 Oct 09

I am having problems with xp and i am going to format and re-install. I do not want to put back all my programmes individually, how do i back them up to cd or dvd?

Technotiger 20:58 06 Oct 09

Perhaps if you could explain the problems, we might be able to help, and avoid a format/reinstall?

Technotiger 21:10 06 Oct 09

You might also like to read this ...

click here

campal 21:11 06 Oct 09

i rebooted xp and ended up with 3 copies on boot up. Only 1 will actually boot,so i thought i would format and re-install to start afresh

Eric10 21:12 06 Oct 09

You can't backup just the programs so you need to either try to repair Windows as Technotiger suggests or bite the bullet and do it the hard way.
There is software available to backup a complete drive with the OS, drivers, programs and data. It's too late to do that when the OS is in trouble but you may want to consider it for the future.

Terry Brown 21:19 06 Oct 09

If you have not already formatted your machine, there may be a better way.

Goto RUN type in MSCONFIG

Select BOOT.INI

Select CHECK ALL BOOT PATHS

This shoud leave you with one path.

You could (if you feel brave enough) manually edit the Boot.ini file.

Find it by looking in system & Hidden files, and open in Notepad-- Not Word or Wordpad.

On the unwanted lines use the single speech mark '(same key as @)before the first character on the line, to prevent them running
Terry

Technotiger 21:31 06 Oct 09
  campal 22:03 06 Oct 09

That has sorted the boot problem, but i now have 2 copies of windows in my programmes taking up valuable space and i cannot delete 1, any ideas?

Technotiger 22:04 06 Oct 09

Did you read through my link?

campal 22:17 06 Oct 09

yes i read the link and now it straight away boots without showing 3 copies, but i still have 2 copies of windows in my programmes and i cannot delete 1, as i said i do not want 2 and need the space

woodchip 22:24 06 Oct 09

You cannot backup Loaded Programs, these may be lost if Preinstalled. Only way to backup Programs is at the Same Time as You backup the Operating System all done when the Computer is running as it should using Acronis True Image

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced